article on tobacco history

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj1015

Reaction score
Here's an interesting article on the history of cigarettes from the BBC that's notable for NOT vilifying pipes/cigars. It points out that lung cancer was freakishly rare when cigarettes were invented and that pipes/cigars are nowhere near as addictive or prone to cause lung cancer!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20042217

Great article, thanks for putting it up here. I've read a good bit on tobacco, cigar and pipe history, but not so much specifically on cigarettes. Was a good read, as much as I don't care for cigarettes, it's amazing how it's survived over one hundred years, from praise to scourge, predominance to decline.

I'm glad it didn't vilify tobacco in general and the people who had their hand in creating and pushing cigarettes, especially not laying blame on anyone (including tobacco). Long story short, one may never know all of the consequences associated with anything, especially in regard to how a product is going to be used.