Artisan Collection Group Photos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZuluCollector

Reaction score
I've been working on taking photos of pipes I've collected by individual artisans. I've found these photos the hardest I've ever tried to take. It's not unusual for my set-up time to be around 90 minutes and post-production about another two hours.

Anyway, here are two photos of two artisan collections. The first is pipes I've collected by Jack Howell and the second is pipes I've collected by Will Purdy.

I don't know if anyone else works on group photos, but I think it's interesting to see pipes by the same maker all in one photo. I start seeing certain design and aesthetic approaches and shaping ideas showing up across different pipes. It's sort of a "body of work" approach to looking at particular makers.

PIPES BY JACK HOWELL
howellfamilynv1.png

PIPES BY WILL PURDY
purdycollectionxu0.png

Beautiful photos,great idea showing multiple examples of their work all together.
It gives me a sense of the artist that one pipe all by itself doesn't convey. :) :)

Winslow

Great looking photos and pipes. You can tell by the pictures that you put a lot of effort in producing them. You can sure tell the carvers do have a certain style when you look at a group of his creations all together as depicted in your photographs. Again great pictures.

What a difficult task. There is no way I would have gotten anywhere close to the proper lighting for that black background. I am quite sure I would have a flare where that upper smooth pipe is, or you would not at all be able to see those lower blasts.

Neill,

Very nice, the end result was certainly worth the time. Any favorite smokers in the collections? I have to admit every time I see your Jack Howell Volkimo I'm just blown away. Hopefully I'll be receiving mine before to long. Thanks to you and Greg for the inspiration. Keep up the good work....

Dan

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I've been away from here (and most forums) for awhile.

Thanks for the nice words regarding the group photos. Technically they are a bear. I'm avoiding flare by using diffused low light, long exposures, and by shooting at f/18 or higher. It's actually considerably easier to shoot on a white background than on black. I get considerably more reflections with a black background.