As The Vaccines Roll Out

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I really hope that the Covid vaccines are 94-95% effective as described. It'll be curious to see how each state handles distribution and who gets priority. I've already heard that the MN V.A. is prepared to administer the vaccine, but it's my understanding that V.A. MN Health staff will get top priority.
It was announced yesterday that Mpls. public schools will end distance learning on January 19. My daughter teaches in the Mpls. public schools. She'd hoped that teachers would be a top priority for the vaccine, but it appears that isn't the case.
While I chose to never practice, I do have a law degree and have several relatives and friends who are attorneys, judges and retired attorneys. We've had a discussion recently over issues of liability if and when teachers are called back to public schools and contract Covid while on the job. One attorney remarked that the order for teachers to return to the classroom in Mpls., without sufficient sanitizing of facilities, came solely from the superintendent of schools. If contact tracing finds that a teacher or any employee contracts and dies from the disease, the superintendent could be charged with criminal negligence resulting in a death and the city could be held liable for damages in a civil suit.
In suburban St. Paul (Mendota Heights) two parochial high schools, one boys; one girls elected not to go to distance learning and both have reported cases of Covid among students and staff. Apparently, parents of students at both schools had to sign a non-culpability waiver for their kids to attend school.

As an aside, my daughter says the students who are succeeding with distance learning are those who have participating parents and grandparents. Most of her students are low income, minority, and English as a second language. She says it appears that many of those students have little school guidance because both parents are working multiple jobs and the children are on their own.