Ashing

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.L.Ruth

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious how often (if at all) you dump the ash while smoking? I used to think it was necessary, now I find i can make it all the through a bowl (most of the time) without having to ash at all.

Sometimes if I'm going for an overdue relight. Seems the fire gets to the unburned stuff easier...

YMMV

What Wiz said, particularly if it is a deep bowl with an inch of ash to get through to the unburnt baccy.

Almost never. Sometime in my huge Baki meer, but that's about it.

About the only time I do is when I get to interested in what I am reading and the pipe ends up in my lap. :affraid: :cyclops:

dkj42":ru4cjpfp said:
About the only time I do is when I get to interested in what I am reading and the pipe ends up in my lap. :affraid: :cyclops:
Lol I finally did that for the first time the other day on my way to work. Don't know how I dropped it, just wasn't paying attention and plop. Lesson learned, it was hot lol.

I put a big hole in my lightweight rain jacket that way last spring

I typically don’t dump my ashes on purpose

Dumped maybe twice. Both times to get to the un-burned tobacco. Otherwise, no.

Well I seem to be in like company then :D when mine goes out and the ash is to thick to relight i will dump it and give the tobacco that is left a quick stir to relight.

-Dan

Used to dump all the time when I first started. More out of curiosity than anything else just to see what was going on in there.

Now it’s only occasionally if a relight warrants it. Usually give it a stir and maybe a light tamp to even things back out.

Usually only when relighting a deep bowl or when I drop my pipe. Occasionally in my lap more commonly it hits the ground or floor causing much cringing.

Jim