Ashokan Farewell

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winslow

Reaction score
I've been interested in the Civil War since I was a boy,recently ran across this video which I'd like to share;

Ashokan Farewell

Winslow :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

That piece has haunted me (in a good, sentimental way) since it was used in that great Barns documentary about our Civil War. In the context of that film, it was exceptionally powerful. I was quite surprised, like many others I'll wager, to learn that it was not a traditional piece of that time period, it sure could have been.

Natch

When I was in HS i played in the band. One of the pieces we played for the 3 day honor band competition the first year I made it was Ashoken Farewell. I absolutely love that piece of music. So simple yet moving

If you enjoy these types of haunting Celtic melodies, two CDs I'd recommend trying to find are Bach Meets Cape Breton on the Marquis Classics series, and the sound track from The Last of the Mohicans. The Cape Breton group plays harpsichords and strings and does these great, folksy renditions of Bach (and you have to listen closely and know what to listen for to hear the Bach). It's one of my favorite pieces to listen to when backpacking. At the end of a long, tiring day, I'll suddenly be doing jigs and gavottes down the trail with 50+ pounds on my back! I've gotten many a strange look on the trail while "dancing" in my own world, (OK, so I get lots of strange looks all the time, but that's another topic!). The sound track from Mohicans keeps coming back to a French/Breton jig theme played simply on a fiddle that is also perfect for the wilderness or paddling a canoe. Both of these put me into the minds of early French trappers, being the first of their race to see some stretch of uncharted wilderness. Great feeling, if only a fantasy.

Natch

Thanks for putting that up for us Winslow!

I have always loved that piece.

I wonder what the theme song will be for the next civil war. You know, the one that will break out in 2009 following the inauguration of the next president, no matter who he is. This country is going right down the tubes. Why, it's going to hell in a handbasket, I tell you.