Ashton VSG

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Smoked an Ashton VSG corona gorda this afternoon. $12.50 retail. The initial light revealed instantly the signature Fuente taste, very similar to a Don Carlos. Once the cigar calmed down and warmed up a bit the wrapper began to show itself. I was a little disappointed as this really was no better and not especially different from a Don Carlos with the exception of a bit more pepper that was consistently present and a noticeable vegetal taste in the last 1/3. Not to say I was disappointed with the taste or the overall quality as it was very good, as are most of the high end Fuente's, but there was not enough of a uniqueness to justify it's hype as being so terribly special. The sungrown Fuente's are actually better as they are bit more mouth watering and chewy whereas the VSG was just stronger and more peppery. The Don Carlos has a better balance to it than the VSG as well. Not at all a bad smoke but not a super special smoke either.

When I started smoking cigars seriously in 2002, the Ashton VSG was the one that appealed to me the most and is still a favorite. To me the wrapper is quite different than the Don Carlos--spicier, more pepper.

The VSG is responsible for my handle (CPT--my initials, not Captain--and VSG).

Puff,
Nice review. I have similair sentiments withe VSG, though I do enjoy the peppery notes well enough.
Over the years i have noticed i reach less and less for the Ashtons these days. My palette must be getting stronger. the Cabinets do not hold my interest as well as a Fuente Sungrown or Carlos, though they are nice and warm in my opinion.

It has been years sionce I tried a Ashton maduro, you guys are gettting me to think about re-examining my opinions...

i was gifted an Ashton ( regular line) for Christmas and though it was very mild i was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It was one of the first 3 cigars i ever tried in the "beginning." Perhaps that is whya i enjoy it so much regardless of how mild.

Anyway I am rambling....

Davey