Askwith Kake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatman

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Hey all, with GQ Tobaccos no longer producing this blend, I was curious if anyone had tried it and their impression. I may, or may not, have a fair amount.

I tried it and reviewed it. I thought it was a very good blend. It's got a fair amount of strength, so I had smoked it in a small bowl. Here's my review:

The flue cured Virginias are grassy without being dull as some lesser grades are known to be. They also possess a mild natural sweetness with a few citrus and honey notes. The steamed Virginias are sweet with a light fruitiness. A minor herbal hit shows up here and there. With a 20 percent perique content, one might think it’d knock you off your feet, but that doesn’t happen with this blend, though a small to medium bowl is recommended. The perique is plumy, raisiny, mildly spicy and fairly smooth with a medium nic-hit. Many blends with this much perique would have a little harshness, but not this one. In fact, I found this kake to have a little creaminess. Has no dull spots and won't bite. It’s easy to break apart and load, and burns at a moderate pace with a very consistent flavor, and a pleasant after taste. Needs few relights and leaves almost no moisture in the bowl. Despite its strength, it's repeatable during the day, though I wouldn't say it's an all day smoke.

I don't speak as eloquently as Mr Jim does in reviews, but I like it a good bit. Fittingly enough I find it to smoke best in a wide bowled Askwith pipe I have. Figure it he two are made for each other. It's a good performing va/per.

I had the opportunity to try this from a small sample a brother sent me. Liked it a lot, but when I was preparing to order some along with a few others Glynn threw in the towel! Hope someone else can produce this as it was a fine blend.

Cheers,

RR

Never had a chance to try it, but Glynn's tobaccos come highly rated. No doubt about it, he's a tobacco guy.

Anyway, I finally figured out how to place an order with GQ, exchanged several emails with Glynn about his mixtures, finally scraped the money together for a killer purchase only to find out that he had decided to fold up the business. :(

Glynn was a heck of a nice guy. It broke his heart the day he was no longer able to ship tobacco's to the USA, or basically export anywhere out of the U.K.  A BIG chunk of his business was exporting, but his doors are still opened to the Brits and torists. Glynn still ships pipes to the USA.
 SO, if you have a friend in the U.K. Send the bloke some scratch to pick you up some blends your missing out on. Go check, as of last month GQ was still open for local business.  
 Now, make a Brit a good friend, there are plenty of great people from England :scratch: :scratch:

JOHN, hope your feeling much better and your spirits have been lifted.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

DrumsAndBeer

Yes, Glynn's blends are no longer made ( but there is talk again it might be back for the locals ) but GQ is still in business and had a few of the blends sold locally only. A buddy I met while living in Europe sent me 4oz. each of two blends that Glynn use to make often. They arrive by a Magic Carpet... :lol!: :lol!:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Askwith Kake was one of Glynn's best blends, IMHO of course. Was so sad to see his wonderful house blends go when all the regulations came down in the UK. I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for some of your Askwith Kake today! :lol:

I liked Glynn's GQ Askwith Kake very much. I dodn't think I didn't like any of the GQ blends.

DoverPipes":wsy9ar7y said:
I liked Glynn's GQ Askwith Kake very much. I dodn't think I didn't like any of the GQ blends.
Seeing that I'm into the kake pressing business now, I can maybe make some for you :lol!: