Astronomy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Astronomy is amazing, much more interesting than anything on this Insane planet.

Ozark

Really interesting article I find astronomy fascinating. Thank you for sharing who would’ve thought that galaxies run into each other and steal suns.

Really cool maybe I need to dig out my telescope...

That’s our future as well. The Milky Way galaxy is hurtling toward the Andromeda galaxy (and vice versa) at many, many millions of miles per hour. They WILL crash together at some point. But it won’t be soon and even when it does we likely won’t even notice. The distances between galaxies are so totally vast that first, it won’t happen for billions of years and second the distances between planetary systems is also so incredibly vast that it is extremely unlikely that any planet or sun or anything will come close enough to another to actually collide. Anyway, that’s what Neil deGrasse Tyson sez. Even when the gravities of the two galaxies causes them to capture each other...swirling around and into and through each other into a new whole...and the massive black holes at the center of each do the fatal attraction thing and they actually collide...and the whole galactic train wreck sorts itself out and forms a new “Milky AndromiWay” (or whatever) galaxy...no collisions other than the two central black holes are likely to occur. Again, roughly 4 billions of years from now.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/hPIJxPo

Hmmm 4 billion years you say? hopefully they will advance medical technology soon enough that I can see that :scratch: . I have always loved astronomy since the first time I saw Star Trek when I was a kid. I do need to get another telescope, haven't had one for years now.

I am sure there will quite a few collisions when the two finally do merge, probably not enough to cause any real issues but there will be some. I like the idea of naming it "Milky AndromiWay"!

-Dan

Actually, I think the major new name being put forward is either, “Milkomeda” or “Milkdromeda”.

Amusing.

Keep in mind that the galactic collision will BEGIN about (give or take a few months) 4 billion years from now and take a few billion years to settle out, so to speak. BUT also beginning about 4 billion years from now our sun will begin to swell as part of its natural aging process and eventually engulf the earth...or the little piece of charcoal that once was the earth. That whole growing/frying thing is supposed to take a few billion years as well. I plan to be out of town.

The movement of the stars is amazing

One of the pleasures in life I find (ymmv) is to have a pipe and a beverage and watch them in a night as they slowly move above me.

History Prof 1861":10xh87j9 said:
The movement of the stars is amazing

One of the pleasures in life I find (ymmv) is to have a pipe and a beverage and watch them in a night as they slowly move above me.
Yes very much so