At it again...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
Lucked out guys! I received two 100g tins this afternoon... it’s getting transferred to a jar today (with a Couple BIG bowls left out for enjoyment) and pushed to the very back of my cellar!
(The 50g tin was already in my possession).

Here’s this afternoons smoke;

(Forgive the “filter”. My wife is trying to show me how to use Instagram... :roll: )
Zach

Well, that all looks jolly good to me old chap.

Good for you Zach!

GuitarMyFriend":l90h4zk8 said:
Lucked out guys! I received two 100g tins this afternoon... it’s getting transferred to a jar today (with a Couple BIG bowls left out for enjoyment) and pushed to the very back of my cellar!
I hope you didn't crack a tin just to jar it. That would be a mistake. :shock:

Wowsers! Clean livin' prevails, eh? Nice score! Enjoy those smokes brother!

daveinlax":trd75ydi said:
GuitarMyFriend":trd75ydi said:
Uh-oh!!! Why would that be a mistake?!?

Zach

GuitarMyFriend":hmorhdaj said:
daveinlax":hmorhdaj said:
GuitarMyFriend":hmorhdaj said:

Zach
It's already in the process of fermentation in the tin. Jarring just sets back the process of time a bit. Nothing major imho. Oh, and :cheers:

Zanaspus":skh5u3n8 said:
GuitarMyFriend":skh5u3n8 said:
daveinlax":skh5u3n8 said:
GuitarMyFriend":skh5u3n8 said:

Zach
It's already in the process of fermentation in the tin. Jarring just sets back the process of time a bit. Nothing major imho. Oh, and  :cheers:

Ok! Phew. I actually knew that when opening the tins it’d slow that process, but I read a couple of horror stories about guys cracking those tins and finding rust on the inside or appearing to be sealed and not being sealed... I keep a close eye on my cellar, and thoroughly inspect the rings and lids before jarring. I do check all my seals regularly also. Tip-top shape!

Zach

GuitarMyFriend":7qgu7hve said:
Ok! Phew. I actually knew that when opening the tins it’d slow that process, but I read a couple of horror stories about guys cracking those tins and finding rust on the inside or appearing to be sealed and not being sealed... I keep a close eye on my cellar, and thoroughly inspect the rings and lids before jarring. I do check all my seals regularly also. Tip-top shape!
That's the older GLP tins that rusted. McClelland has never had any issues with mold or rust that I'm aware of. You didn't slow the processes you stopped it and the process will never fully recover.

IMO that's not a big deal what is, is that you killed most of the possible resale value. Yeah, I know you bought it to smoke but that's what everyone says before they decide to sell. :shock:

daveinlax":zunmv1vp said:
GuitarMyFriend":zunmv1vp said:
That's the older GLP tins that rusted. McClelland has never had any issues with mold or rust that I'm aware of. You didn't slow the processes you stopped it and the process will never fully recover.

IMO that's not a big deal what is, is that you killed most of the possible resale value. Yeah, I know you bought it to smoke but that's what everyone says before they decide to sell. :shock:

I just read a story on pipe studs website about a McClelland Tin rusting. I’m not terribly upset about resale value, as this is in my top 5 favorite blends, that I’m certain I will enjoy for years to come. To boot, I also have a tin of Navy Cavendish, and a tin of No. 25 Virginia from ‘06 and ‘99 I can pawn if times get tough. I do have a question though; what about bulk tobaccos, that venders put in a bag, then sellers put in another bag, then we put in a jar? Should they just not be kept long term?

Zach

GuitarMyFriend":ehsks35b said:
daveinlax":ehsks35b said:
GuitarMyFriend":ehsks35b said:

I just read a story on pipe studs website about a McClelland Tin rusting.  I’m not terribly upset about resale value, as this is in my top 5 favorite blends, that I’m certain I will enjoy for years to come. To boot, I also have a tin of Navy Cavendish, and a tin of No. 25 Virginia from ‘06 and ‘99 I can pawn if times get tough. I do have a question though; what about bulk tobaccos, that venders put in a bag, then sellers put in another bag, then we put in a jar? Should they just not be kept long term?

Zach
I jar bulk tobacco. If the tobacco is sealed in a Mylar bag I leave it alone. I'll have to take a look at Fallon's Pipestud consignment site. As far as I've known McC's tins have always been lined. :shock:

daveinlax":qudfcl9h said:
GuitarMyFriend":qudfcl9h said:
daveinlax":qudfcl9h said:
GuitarMyFriend":qudfcl9h said:

I just read a story on pipe studs website about a McClelland Tin rusting.  I’m not terribly upset about resale value, as this is in my top 5 favorite blends, that I’m certain I will enjoy for years to come. To boot, I also have a tin of Navy Cavendish, and a tin of No. 25 Virginia from ‘06 and ‘99 I can pawn if times get tough. I do have a question though; what about bulk tobaccos, that venders put in a bag, then sellers put in another bag, then we put in a jar? Should they just not be kept long term?

Zach
I jar bulk tobacco. If the tobacco is sealed in a Mylar bag I leave it alone. I'll have to take a look at Fallon's Pipestud consignment site. As far as I've known McC's tins have always been lined. :shock:
Yeah, it was sad story. I believe the rust came about in between the lining and the tin. That would tear me to pieces of I opened a tin of tobacco I had aging specifically to smoke and it was ruined! It may sound silly, but I plan to only smoke my Blackwoods Flake on my daughters birthday. (Not including the bowl I’m having now that I left out of the jar! :lol: )

Zach

My ROT (rule of thumb)...Mylar is OK as long as I can't detect any tobacco odor. Regular baggies, only for very short-term; otherwise, into the glass! Most bulks I jar upon receipt!! Tins, I just let'em stay in the tin/s although I check the square/rectangular ones for the "smell" test. So far, no problems!!!! Never had a problem with "pop-tops," and some of mine are from the '90's! :cheers: FTRPLT

No worries Zach, the rest of his site is quite informative too and congrats on the McClelland score, some tasty stuff there mate.