Attention Mezcal Enablers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I made a grocery stop at Trader Joe's today. In the St. Paul, MN TJ's there's also liquor store. I picked up what appears to be TJ's mezcal house brand.
"Espada Pequeña Mezcal Artesanal is a private label product for the Trader Joe’s grocery store chain. It is produced by Benevá Mezcal, an industrial brand based in Oaxaca, Mexico. This mezcal is produced using Maguey Espadin. The cooked agave is milled using a stone tahona and mechanical shredder. It is distilled in copper."
I have not opened the bottle, as yet. The reviews I've read, post purchase, are not glowing. That may mean that I'll like it. It was about $21.00 750 ml.

Have never tried Mezcal. I always thought it was just tequila under I different name, and tequila has never been my drunk of choice.

Perhaps I'll grab of bottle this weekend and give it a shot, what would be a good recommendation? Something easily available but not low quality.

Back in the early 70's a friend was visiting Mexico and I asked him to bring be back a bottle of Mezcal - the kind that had the worm in the bottle. I was currently drinking Tequila and had heard about Mezcal, but there was none to be found in my area.

Well, I got the bottle - the label all in Spanish - and yes it did have the worm! Gotta admit though, it was harsh and nasty tasting. Burned like fire going down. I didn't even like it as a mixer. Think that bottle lasted for many years as I foisted it off on all and sundry company. Eventually the worm started to disintegrate and the skin flaked off. When that happened I threw the rest out. Never again!

No Cheers,

RR

https://www.mezcalreviews.com/mezcal/apaluz-joven/$51,99 at Total Wine
Today
$19.99 at Morelli's Market

apaluz-mezcal-durango-bottle.jpg

Last edited:
Have never tried Mezcal. I always thought it was just tequila under I different name, and tequila has never been my drunk of choice.

Perhaps I'll grab of bottle this weekend and give it a shot, what would be a good recommendation? Something easily available but not low quality.
Suggestion. Unless you absolutely love tequila, don't waste your time or money. When I lived in Tucson and visited Mexico frequently my friends always wanted to order mezcal. Tried several different brands, the good, the bad, and the ugly, and I have to agree with Brewdude. It all tastes like kerosene to me and the worm doesn't taste good either, lol.

Unless you absolutely love tequila, don't waste your time or money.
I do really like Piedra Azul tequila blanco (really, really cheap stuff, although 100% blue agave)) and did enjoy the Xicaru Artesanal Anejo mezcal. I'll report back after I take the Apaluz for a test drive. I actually only bought it because it was less than half of regular price.

I do really like Piedra Azul tequila blanco (really, really cheap stuff, although 100% blue agave)) and did enjoy the Xicaru Artesanal Anejo mezcal. I'll report back after I take the Apaluz for a test drive. I actually only bought it because it was less than half of regular price.
Even at half price I don't buy it, lol. Only tequila I could say I ever really liked was called 3 Diamonds. Only sold in Mexico, not exported. Really smooth. Only tequila I could sip like whiskey.

Re: Apaluz Mezcal Joven

Produced with Agave Durangensis or as the natives call it, Maguey Cenizo. A wild agave that grows in the high plateau of Durango. The desert like climate and the lava rock terroir yield a unique and complex taste profile. Ages 10-14 years.

Durangensis: Wow, what a big word.

On the rum thread, I noted that Morelli's Madness special this week was Bacardi 10-Year Aged and I ordered one bottle. Today, I went to pick it up and found, on their must go shelf, the Apaluz Artesanal knocked down to $14.99. I couldn't resist buying another bottle. It's still $51.99 at the local Total Wine stores.

the only mezcal I drink is Del Maguey - the best
There are several iterations of Del Maguey. Creama de Mezcal is cheap at about $30.00 and the reviews aren't great, but Chichicapa Single Village Boca del Cerro, 20th Anniversary will hit you for $230. They ain't the same but both are Del Maguey.

Last edited:
There are several iterations of Del Maguey. Creama de Mezcal is cheap at about $30.00 and the reviews aren't great, but Chichicapa Single Village Boca del Cerro, 20th Anniversary will hit you for $230. They ain't the same but both are Del Maguey.
I've had them all from the cheaper one to the tobala - THEY ARE ALL EXCELLENT! - the quality is the same - Excellent