Auld Erin pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juanmedusa

Reaction score
I have an Auld Erin pipe I inherited. I've heard they were Peterson seconds. It makes some sense to me as my pipe is in shape 999 which is a dead ringer for the Peterson shape. Anyone else have or know more about these pipes?

Pipephil.eu attributes Auld Erin to Petersons. I have seen them made in London or Ireland. Some of the stems have a P on the bit, some have nothing on the stem, and some have what looks like a Harp . what stampings does yours have?

It reads "Auld Erin, Made in Ireland" "999". It had the harp thing as I remember from when I was younger but it's all but gone now, sadly. The original stem is incredibly tight and if I was to ever decide to smoke it that might require some attention. What I recall the last time I had the stem out is that the tenon doesn't come to terminate at a flat face but is rather angled. I don't know if a piece previously broke off or it was finished that way. I'd have to get it back out and take another look maybe even with a loop and a flashlight.

If it says Made in Ireland, it was made before 1949 (1915-1949). the tight fit is partially just the way they are made back then. I have noticed vintage pipes usually have tighter tenons, just because they were made to closer tolerances than today. If the bit is tight, but it in the freezer for a while before trying to remove the bit. I usually rub a little candle wax on the tenon to make it easier to assemble. Sometimes there is an accumulation of 'gunk' inside the shank which makes it tightUse a qtip soaked in alcohol to rub inside the shank. if it comesout black you have tar build up which you canremove to give a less tight fit.

When I get a chance I'll follow those directions and take a couple pics during the process.