Aussie customs seizes my tobacco.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Well it had to happen I guess. My penultimate tobacco order from the US has been seized at the postal centre and has been assessed as liable for just under 200 bucks in tax before it can be sent to me.

Given this is 4 times the value of the tobacco itself, I think I'll let that get returned to the US and wear the loss.

I just hope neither the vendor nor myself has raised a flag for future deliveries. Seriously, I'd rather not smoke at all than pay these thieves this sort of rate of tax. A pox on all their houses.

</rant>

JCB":y0vdiutu said:
Well it had to happen I guess. My penultimate tobacco order from the US has been seized at the postal centre and has been assessed as liable for just under 200 bucks in tax before it can be sent to me.

Given this is 4 times the value of the tobacco itself, I think I'll let that get returned to the US and wear the loss.

I just hope neither the vendor nor myself has raised a flag for future deliveries. Seriously, I'd rather not smoke at all than pay these thieves this sort of rate of tax. A pox on all their houses.

</rant>
So sorry that happened to you. I Couldn't agree more and know how you must feel. The real sad thing is that I'm sure that noted who it was from and too so I'd take extra care in ordering again.
Use someone else's address and different vendor just to be on the safe side.

JCB":74blxc16 said:

</rant>
are you expecting a refund from the vendor?

Cart. I have another package in transit atm. I'll see how that goes. My understanding is that because people like me WON'T pay the tax and the package gets returned to sender, that it costs more to take it out of the mail stream and send letters demanding tax than they ever get actually paid, so they just ignore small packages. So it's a random thing in order that folks think packages WILL be stopped. Anyway, I'm about to find out.  :shock: 

Bullwinkle. I am not expecting a refund. Once I know which orders are affected I will contact the vendors and see what they can do. Seems to me that since I would only order the same, they could take the same stock and just put it in a new box and send it out again. Obviously I'd pay a new P&H charge or a restocking fee if it needs to be scanned back into the system again. But if no refund or credit I wouldn't blame the vendor.

All I have to say is "Hobby Supplies" or "Dried Loose Leave English Teas"......

If that fails.....4Noggins

What do 4 noggins do differently? Message me if the answer requires discretion.

Well, I am pleased to be able to say my next parcel got thru ok. So I think I can say for the benefit of my fellow Aussies that taking parcels out of the mail stream is (probably) random.

The package that came today was in a ridiculously large box for the 6 tins it contained. Vendors, c'mon, a box that is 75% by volume filled with air bags and foam is hardly inconspicuous.

And TY to the brother who pm'd me some tips regarding consignments.  :D 

Now I am hanging for my Lepeltier pipe to arrive....

I've shipped to RSA with the description as "Briar Wood Hobby Supplies" and all went through. I was clearing customs once at Jo'burg, a carryon with about 5 lbs of tins and thought the guy was going to stop me - had a huge sinking feeling in my stomach. I just kept walking and he stopped the folks behind me.  Whew!

Edited twice for misspelling. I need to proofread more.

Well after, what is it, six weeks?...the package finally got returned to sender.

The good news is that smokingpipes.com credited my account the value of the tobacco that was returned, so kudos to them.

I haven't had another package stolen seized since either, so I consider this story to have had a happy ending.  :D

The package that came today was in a ridiculously large box for the 6 tins it contained. Vendors, c'mon, a box that is 75% by volume filled with air bags and foam is hardly inconspicuous.

gee, maybe the box not being the size that would normally contain tobacco was the reason they didn't check, eh?

maybe the vendors should quit trying to sneak stuff pass customs?