Awesome Dunhill tobacco history

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A great timeline/history.

I've just recently taken the plunge and purchased a pretty complete compilation of currently available blends. While I know they are not what they used to be, I'm honestly blown away by Nightcap, London Mixture, and my new primary tobacco, My Mixture 965. Oddly enough, I'm not that impressed with EMP. It's a great blend but maybe I've just given my heart to Chelsea Morning. The others I Dunhill blends have are perfectly acceptable and good, but there are better offerings out there.

I'm sure a factor in any Dunhill product is just its age and pedigree, which this article sums up quite nicely. There's a mindset change, at least for me, when I pop open a tin of 965. This has been around for just about 100 years now, in one variation or another. I can't wait until I can afford to collect Dunhill pipes. Timeless classics of beauty and form. I'm quite pleased that I haven't had the previous/better incarnations of the tins actually. It allows me to really enjoy and focus on the current version without staring up at the bar of what used to be.

Thanks for posting the link.

If you like smoking a bit of history (and I'm completely with you there!) check out some blends from Samuel Gawith. The company has the oldest piece of industrial machinery in the world that's still in full-time operation, and they use it to make blends in the exact same way they've been made since the 1760s or so! Some of their blends are supposedly 200 years old.

Indeed. FYI...The link is from John Loring's Dunhill pages; Mr. Loring passed away in October 2009; great loss to the Pipe Community.......