Back after almost 6 years.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyTweed

Reaction score
A lot has happened in my life since I posted last, I have a 5year old son, been advancing my career but I have not stopped smoking pipes just slowed down a lot since the birth of my boy. With many restrictions here in Canada and incredibly steep prices smoking is a luxury. Looking at about $40 dollars for a 50g tin and ever increasing legislation my pastime has been relegated to days off during the week with the little one at daycare and the few campfires in our short summer.

Back for now however,
Gentlemen and Ladies.

SmokyTweed - where in Canada are you? And what’s the scoop on tobacco gifts sent to Canadian residents? Does the government hit you with massive tariffs, fees, etc.? I know they do in England.

Welcome back Mr Smokey T. As one of the few resident chaps from Blighty on the BoB, I feel your baccy purchasing pain. I find these prices only serve to ensure that each smoke is entirely dedicated to the moment and as such, savoured.

Hey Blackhorse,

I’m hailing from Edmonton, Alberta. I’ll let you know on the duty/taxes as I ordered a fair amount of tobaccos from the US that should be here in a few days. If the orders are small sometimes it’s none! It could be upwards of about $100 CDN tax but it has to be over 200 grams I believe. Either way even with tacking on the fees it’s still cheaper than buying local. I always buy local though except on stuff unavailable to my local B&M.

Welcome back sir, how I envy you. $110 bucks for 50g here in Australia. As Stick says, it means every pipe is savoured to the bottom of the bowl. :)

Timbo":znm5jn0a said:
$110 bucks for 50g here in Australia. As Stick says, it means every pipe is savoured to the bottom of the bowl. :)
Ouch!

Greetings SmokeyTweed! I've spent time living in Edmonton, but that was decades ago.

Isn't $40 dollars fairly low in Canada? I thought tobacco was more than that there.:shock:

Daveinlax,

It can go higher depending on what part of the country you are in, I live in the only province without a sales tax. Also 3 nuns will cost you more and the like but a basic 50g tin of Sweet Killarney is 38-45 loonies.

and i thought i had bad in Finnland...33 euros 50 gr tin!!
allways been jeaulous to spanish people,they have about the 3 times smaller prices! Wich is strange,because it is an EU_country too..
And we have only 4 desend tobacco shops in the country.Closest to me is about 250 km... ordering thru the post office is illegal here offcourse!

Welcome back S.T...a little late on he welcome but better late than never.

The newest legislation on the way (I hear from a friend), or maybe it's already here is the subdued grayscale labeling requirements. That means some of the classic labels such as Squadron Leader and those from C&D will be no more. I haven't actually seen it yet. It takes me a long time to through a tin and I have 4 or 5 brands sealed up so I'm good for some time.