Back in Stock: C&D Carolina Red Flake - Mold you say?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCordray

Reaction score
This product was openly recognized by the manufacturer to be at least 20% contaminated by mold and sparked a total recall of all 2400 tins produced. I think the folk's at Laudisi, Cornell & Diehl, and SmokingPipes.com have showed incredible grace and integrity in dealing with the openly recognized mold problem. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the customer service department at this company, really for any reason.

I originally missed out on the first run of C&D's Small Batch Carolina Red Flake... maybe that was lucky? I'll never know.

Will I be ordering from this run of production? Absolutely! I've already placed a sizable order for this flake.
I have full confidence in their ability to make a fine tobacco, and I will continue to support them.

Adam

I agree with Adam, C&D and Laudisi have handled the mold situation well, that is at least from a customer service angle.

I am passing on this one, especially after the recent Oak Alley thread which has me wondering if they're out of the woods yet.

Anyway, if either of you guys crack a tin and give it a whirl, do post your thoughts..

Very true Adam, the mold issues I had with 7 tins of Bijou was rectified immediately and have not had any mold issues since. But in the prior 2 years I've had other mold issues with another C&D blend. Also GLP, which is canned at the same place C&D is canned, so I've been told by a rep.  I too am concerned about the recent mold found in the 7/17 release of Oak Alley after I was ASSURED ( remember never ass/u/me anything )  back in 9/16 that the mold issue was resolved with the new anti fungal agent they're using. But " it's back " obviously! I trust Smokingpipes 110% and know they will stand behind whatever they sell but right now I too shall pass on any new releases of C&D. I have plenty of McCranie's Red Ribbon ? which is simply marvelous and never an issue!! PLEASE POST IF ANYONE DECIDES TO OPEN A TIN OF THE NEW C&D RELEASE. Also remember IF your tin swells like a baseball within the first year of aging I would venture to say it's MOLD. Tins will swell after a few years of aging but NOT where you can literally roll them like a ? ball ?. GOOD LUCK!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I too will pass on this. I got some of the original release, and although the tin I had open was fine, after hearing of the horror stories I decided to return the rest. SP/C&D stood behind this and refunded me 100%.

So maybe it's a matter of once bitten/twice shy. Or perhaps, my red 'ginny needs are more than met by 5100, Red Ribbon, Xmas Cheer, and Red Paramour (Red Crack).

In any case I'll stand down on this one.

Cheers,

RR

So, has anyone here smoked any of this yet? I looked briefly at the review site and there are only a few posts. The only one I took notice of was pipestud's review. Doesn't look like Jim has reviewed this '17 batch yet.

Cheers,

RR

I passed on this one mostly due to blowing my TAD funds on other items, but there are three new favorable reviews on tobaccoreviews.com.

All the hardened Virginia smokers seem to really like it. I enjoy many of C&D's tobacco blends but rarely have I been wowed by one of their straight VA's. Back when I reviewed Union Square, I smoked straight through a 2oz tin that absolutely blew my mind. Since then, I have been incapable of recapturing the magic of that first tin. Maybe my tastes have changed, who knows. Since then I have moved on to a few more of their power blends like Night Train, Old Joe Krantz and GLP Fillmore, which I think they really excel at. Altogether, I much prefer McClelland's straight Ginnys. For straight VA smoking, I think they're of superior quality and much more nuanced, IMHO of course and by no means is this a knock on C&D, they make some great products.

Brewdude":u2wxt8ne said:
So, has anyone here smoked any of this yet? I looked briefly at the review site and there are only a few posts. The only one I took notice of was pipestud's review. Doesn't look like Jim has reviewed this '17 batch yet.

Cheers,

RR
I didn't buy it. Not currently buying tobacco, unfortunately. I suspect it's close to the first batch, though.

I looked into getting some the second time around but the day after it went on sale it was sold out. Called Smokingpipes and the feeling I got was that it was a one time thing, limited batch and all. :cry: