Backpacking with pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoosierPuffer

Reaction score
I'm wondering about backpacking with a pipe.

Does tobacco attract bear / raccoon / deer? I imagine it does. When we've packed cigars in the past, we ziplock them up really well and keep them in our bear bags.

What do you guys do for pipes?

Actually tobacco is probably more inclined to reply wildlife, though I think from personal experience its debatable.

(Sorry Kilted, was trying to quote you and ended up editing, I fixed it though, PB )

Burning said tobacco will run off critters.... except Moose.. Moose like pipes..but mostly straight Va's or Va/Pers... smoke something with some Latakia in it and they'll leave you alone.

I keep pipes, tobacco & supplies in a small pelican case - thought it was such a neat idea I made a YT video about it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HkKLwRgI2QM" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now that's an interesting question. I haven't noticed anything attracted to my pipes at all when I've been out, I generally try to avoid wildlife though. Maybe I'll go chuck an old corn cob at a bear tomorrow and see what he thinks. :mrgreen:

I normally just throw my pipe and tobacco in a leather pipe bag from Saddleback Leather. I like that Pelican case idea though, might have to get one of those for when I'm out on the boat.

puros_bran":n14tjjbf said:
Burning said tobacco will run off critters.... except Moose.. Moose like pipes..but mostly straight Va's or Va/Pers... smoke something with some Latakia in it and they'll leave you alone.
I'd like to know how you learned that.

Sitting there, smoking away, then *BAM*!!! Moose.

I have backpacked and hiked with a pipe or two a few times. I always separate the stem and the bowl in case I trip and bust my tail. I have always taken them in soft cases. Haven't had any problems. I hike and camp in bear country along the Blue Ridge Parkway and all sorts of critters are out there but none have ever been drawn to me with or without my pipe. We always keep a good fire going, though. Of course these bears aren't grizzlies. They are normally very timid around humans anyway.

I do wish my tobacco would attract deer. It would make the kill much easier. And my freezer would be full of venison.

You and I have much in common, TallSmoke. :)

That is the general area we're going.

This time around we'll be hiking in a day's hike, setting up shop for a few days, doing fishing and day hikes, then hiking back out.

I was in Western Ma "Bear Country" in May with a traveling cellar of Latakia blends. The first morning I woke up to a full grown black bear looking at me through the cabin window. I think he wanted a sample of Westminster.

Last year an owl spent the whole week at our camp site, clearly a lat-man too.

moose11.jpg
Rocky after a bit to much Nicotine.

I told him to smoke Black Irish X in a small pipe,but he still insisted on smoking this.....
this-is-a-pipe_1386142i.jpg

... NOOOOOOO Don't listen to Pb, its much better to just ruin everyone's camping trip.... Thanks Rocky

Dont worry, he had recovered and was back at work on Monday
Rockyatwork.jpg

HoosierPuffer":cca3egnp said:
You and I have much in common, TallSmoke. :)

That is the general area we're going.

This time around we'll be hiking in a day's hike, setting up shop for a few days, doing fishing and day hikes, then hiking back out.
I'll be hiking a couple of pieces of the Blue Ridge Saturday with my three boys. We have a little getaway home near West Jefferson in Ashe County and it is only 5-minutes from the parkway. We're not overnighting on the trail this time, but i do plan to stop and rest somewhere with a view and smoke a bowl.

the macdonald":8f219qxw said:
I was in Western Ma "Bear Country" in May with a traveling cellar of Latakia blends. The first morning I woke up to a full grown black bear looking at me through the cabin window. I think he wanted a sample of Westminster.

Last year an owl spent the whole week at our camp site, clearly a lat-man too.

A couple of years ago when we first moved up in the mountains, and before we learned that the outside 'trashcan container' was for decorative purposes, we were visited one night by a full grown momma and two cubs (black bears). My wife was pretty freaked out, I said that they would eat until nothing was left, and leave and went back to bed.

It was neat seeing them that close though, thru the window to the deck, they were on the porch at the side of our house! Fascinating creatures!

Up here in North Georgia, about 45 minutes south of the Tennessee line, if you want to see bears, smear peanut butter on the trees and fry some bacon :cheers:

EJinVA":di7xa99o said:
I'm betting Walnut will keep all critters away :tongue: , what say ye JP?
Is that why I didn't have any problems with the Black Bears this past week when I was up in the Great Dismal Swamp? :D

You might be on to something EJ! We camp in some pretty remote areas sometime where there are a lot of critters and I never have any problems with smoking a pipe. :D

Justpipes":wif64x93 said:
EJinVA":wif64x93 said:
I'm betting Walnut will keep all critters away :tongue: , what say ye JP?
Is that why I didn't have any problems with the Black Bears this past week when I was up in the Great Dismal Swamp? :D
Bet it kept the skeeters away too! :cheers:

Walnut will even kill the foilage.....

The Black Ops Sections figured the best way to store it for use would be to distribute it to smoke shops (back in the Cold War days when there were actually smoke shops) so every town would have enough in case of Russian Attack.
JPs the only one thats not figured out its herbicide and pesticide sprayed cardboard.

I leave for the mountains first thing in the morning and I plan to take what I believe all the critteres human or non should love. My trusty HPCS Adirondack Trout Stream blend.