Bad experience with Kindle e-reader

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forsooth

Reaction score
I bought a Kindle e-reader (before the paperwhite version came out), and I purchased Andrew Roberts' "The Storm of War: a new history of the second world war" as my first read.

The book itself is very good, and is filled with lots of information and personalities. The problem was that, this being a history, I often wanted to go back, say, 25 or 50 pages and remind myself of this or that person or situation. It seemed much too clumsy to do this on the Kindle. I finally gave up because it was so frustrating, and bought the physical book and finished it. I haven't returned to the Kindle since.

Everyone else loves the Kindle, but I don't think it is for me.

It's an ereader not a estudier.

But you can use the highlighter to do exactly what your trying to do.

puros_bran":raivxowc said:
It's an ereader not a estudier.

But you can use the highlighter to do exactly what your trying to do.
Yep, I use mine all of the time. Highlighting and making notes is very handy with the kindle. Besides, I can carry tons of books all on that one small device and buy books from ANYWHERE. I still like paper books as well, but the kindle sure cuts down on clutter.

You're not alone.

My wife has a Kindle...I've used it a few times, and can't stand it. I want the real thing.

I love my kindle, I have two actually, but you pointed out its one major flaw, in my opinion. Its an odd talent, I know, but I can usually remember a passage and picture it's exact spot on the page and the page number within 5 or 10 pages (too many years of cramming for final exams I guess). So I have always been able to flip back and find exactly the information I was looking rather quickly. Admittedly, this is fairly difficult on the kindle, but the kindle does have an advantage that the paper book does not. If your looking for a specific name or a word that is not overly common, you can do a word search and find the information much quicker than you ever could with a paper book.

These days it seems the only time I have left to sit down and read uninterrupted is on my train ride to and from work. Lug Doris Kearns' Team of Rivals back and forth everyday for a month and you will quickly see the Kindle's advantage.