Bad news for smokers and the obese

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/how-your-company-watching-your-waistline-2D11577726

PENALTIES HIT SMOKERS HARDEST

Next year many more companies plan to penalize workers who use nicotine because of their much higher health care costs. Proctor & Gamble Co, the Cincinnati-based household-product giant, will begin charging such employees an additional $25 per month in 2014 until they have completed a company-paid cessation program.

Under similar provisions, state employees in Wisconsin and Washington state will pay as much as $600 more per year, while nonunion smokers at United Parcel Service Inc will pay as much as $1,800.

"We found that while less than 10 percent of workers at large employers smoke, their impact to health care costs is disproportionately huge," said LuAnn Heinen, vice president for the National Business Group on Health. "Helping them quit — however you do that — has the most obvious near-term payoff in terms of savings and productivity gains."

A recent Ohio State University study found that businesses pay nearly $6,000 more annually per employee who smokes compared with a nonsmoker. Other research suggests that less than 16 percent of employees participate in voluntary smoking cessation programs, Heinen added.

A.H. Belo, owner of the Dallas Morning News, Providence Journal and other publications, told staff in September that for 2014 it would require employees and their spouses to complete a biometric health screening or face a $100 annual surcharge. In 2015, employees will be asked not only to undergo the screening but to meet three out of five as yet unspecified health goals to avoid the additional fee.

COSTLY PUNISHMENTS

Under Obama's Affordable Care Act, which takes effect in January, companies can offer a reward of up to 30 percent of health care costs paid by the employee to those who complete voluntary programs like smoking cessation, a risk assessment or biometric tests like waist measurement.

The financial incentives could add up to about $1,620 annually per worker. But if wellness programs don't end up saving costs, companies can raise premiums across the board or slap them on workers who don't get with the programs. In some states, tobacco users who sign up for insurance through the new state health exchanges could be charged 50 percent higher premiums than nonsmokers.

No Cheers,

RR

I've always wondered where you guys work that you're getting asked about this stuff.  I've never been asked about any life choices.  Check the box, get the insurance.

Maybe it's because I live in a blue state.  That's not a political jab, I really don't know why.  This:

"A.H. Belo, owner of the Dallas Morning News, Providence Journal and other publications, told staff in September that for 2014 it would require employees and their spouses to complete a biometric health screening or face a $100 annual surcharge."

Makes it sound like maybe don't work for A.H. Belo.  Could be misinformed but I'm pretty sure it's a company-specific policy. Might change his tune if employees went elsewhere.

Good thing I quit smoking years ago after a tragic
boating accident in which I lost all my firearms. :twisted: 

Hermit":q9rs69k7 said:
boating accident in which I lost all my firearms.
I'm plagiarizing this, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  :cheers:

RonA3597":efrtxapk said:
Hermit":efrtxapk said:
boating accident in which I lost all my firearms.
I'm plagiarizing this, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  :cheers:

Better TM it...gonna be used alot.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg bans sale of tobacco products to anyone under 21, making New York the first large city to prohibit sales to young adults.

EW YORK—New York City’s mayor signed legislation Tuesday banning the sale of tobacco products to anyone under 21, making New York the first large city or state in the U.S. to prohibit sales to young adults.

Outgoing Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a former smoker, has had a special focus on health measures during his 12 years in office.

New York’s ‘nanny in chief’

Bloomberg said raising the legal purchase age from 18 to 21 would help prevent young people from experimenting with tobacco at the age when they were most likely to become addicted. City health officials say 80 per cent of smokers start before age 21.

The mayor also signed legislation setting a minimum price for all cigarettes sold in the city: $10.50 per pack. New York City already has the nation’s highest cigarette taxes.

Bloomberg rejected criticism from some retailers who argued the measures would hurt the economy and lead to job losses.

“This is an issue of whether we are going to kill people,” Bloomberg said.

Teenagers can still possess tobacco legally. Kids will still be able to steal cigarettes from their parents, take them from friends or buy them from the black-market dealers who are common in many neighbourhoods.

Tobacco companies and some retailers had said the age increase would simply drive teenagers to the black market.

“What are you really accomplishing? It’s not like they are going to quit smoking. Why? Because there are so many other places they can buy cigarettes,” said Jim Calvin, president of the New York Association of Convenience Stores.

Calvin also pointed out the illicit supplies brought into the city by dealers who buy them at greatly reduced prices in other states, where tobacco taxes are low.

------------------------------------------

While I'm not a ciggie smoker, this pos legislation is just another example of the slippery slope that the tobacco Nazi's have in their quest to eventually outlaw all tobacco use, possession, and sale!

nonono2.gif

NO Cheers,

RR

But if you ask why smokers pay more for health insurance, the answer is, "Their medical costs are higher." If you ask why women do not pay more than men, the answer will be, "That would be unfair. Insurance is intended to spread costs."

Big Brother has an answer for everything. What a guy ...