Badger brush?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Burley

Reaction score
I don't understand the appeal of a badger brush, unless it's just the softness and maybe that the good ones hold more lather. I've been using boar for decades and they seem plenty soft enough--too soft, actually--and quite adequate for lathering. But all the experts seem to hold the badger as the ideal, and when I grow up I want to be just like them. What am I missing? Am I just not delicate and sensitive enough? Somebody give me a reason to drop a coupla' Cs on a piece of fur on a stick. I like spending money, and almost any pretext will do.

To tell ya truth I don't see all the hoopla over what one shaves with period. I'd shave with my pocket knife if I could. I don't like to shave, it's just a pain in the ass so I try to get it done as quick as possible and not using my life savings in the process. Just water and a cheap Bic razor gets it done for me.

Ya' gotta get in touch with your foppish side. My problem is that I like to shave. Makes my face feel new every day. I have had full beards, and I think they look cool, but scraping my face just feels necessary. I am quite familiar with quality razors, soaps, etc., but the necessity of a badger brush eludes me.

(And the scent of D.R. Harris Windsor makes getting up in the morning damn near worth it.)

As far as Badger vs Boar, as you have said the Boar bristled brushes will do a good job if used right with HOT water and a good soap. Myself, I started shaving over 50 years ago with a grey/silver badger brush my father gave me when I started shaving and am STILL using it today !! I also have my father's brush and at times use it !! The whole Badger thing can get WAAAAY over the top price wise and I think is really more of a sort of snob thing among the "purists" Use what you can afford and what WORKS for you !! It's your face !! :twisted: :twisted:

I've grown accustomed to silvertip badgers myself. I even donated my pure badgers because they were rubbish compared to the silvertip. I'm a face latherer, so boar is a no go for me. It feels like broom bristles across my face. But, use what works for you.

I have a Semogue Boar and a Simpson Colonel badger. While the boar is a decent enough brush, I love my Simpson.

If the angst ridden Texan would quit using a bic perhaps he wouldn't hate it so much.. I'd hate it to if that was the option I had at hand, in fact if that's the only option I just won't shave. I have no desire screwing my face up.  

Richard, don't buy a badger just to buy a badger.  It's counter productive.    If you must spend money and spend it now go spend $25 on a Semogue 830.  It's arguably the best of the best in the boar brush field.  I'm not parroting the illuminati, I've experimented with several dozen of the things.  

If you must try a badger go purchase the $25 Simpson Pure Badger.  It's not soft.  I use mine quite often.  

If you just must spend money on top shelf go purchase a  Thater 4125 or Simpson Chubby in the size/hair quality you desire.  Their short loft keeps them from feeling so floppy.  They are soft but without the floppieness.. And most guys confuse the two.

I can't afford a good badger, so I took the advice of someone here and went with a Semogue Excelsior 620. Great brush! It's held up nicely over the last 3 years. It actually feels like it has softened up a bit with use.

It will.. As the boar hairs split.. I had a Semogue 1305 that I was really enjoying.  It somehow got lost in the Florida/Louisville back to Brandenburg move.

joshoowah":wflpq54a said:
I've grown accustomed to silvertip badgers myself. I even donated my pure badgers because they were rubbish compared to the silvertip. I'm a face latherer, so boar is a no go for me. It feels like broom bristles across my face. But, use what works for you.
Starting to see. I, too, face lather and I like that somewhat prickly feeling. But thanks.

puros_bran":7z0ftawp said:
Richard, don't buy a badger just to buy a badger.  It's counter productive.    If you must spend money and spend it now go spend $25 on a Semogue 830.  It's arguably the best of the best in the boar brush field.  I'm not parroting the illuminati, I've experimented with several dozen of the things.  
Great info, PB, along with the deleted. I've been using cheap drugstore brushes all my life. I'll give this a shot. Don't want no floppy badger, I'm thinkin', from what I can tell.

Brushes, like everything else, are a matter of personal preference. I'm a face latherer and have a soft spot for the Kent BK8 when using creams (the two brushes on the left), but went with a Savile Row for soaps (third from the left). For what you've said, I don't think you would like these brushes very much.

I like the Semogue Owners Club (boar, in the middle), but find the knot just a tad too small for my liking. But for you it may be just what the doctor ordered.

Have you tried the synthetic ones? I'm experimenting with a few, but so far haven't found a favorite. They provide great face feel, but I don't like the way they tend to release lather from the base of the knot. The three on the right are all synthetic, and the one in front is an experiment, a brush that I am making but still have to work the inside of the handle and set the knot.

Cart: I used to think that shaving was a chore, too, until I learned the proper way to do it. Now, it's a delightful sensual experience that I look forward to.

Those Kent brushes are nice. I struggled choosing between those and my Thater.

And the Plisson brush. :cheers: A modern legend!

I have a Semogue 830 nestled in my PO box. All I have to do is pick it up. Think that should do me quite well. Eighteen bucks on Amazon. What have I got to lose? A few splashes of some aftershaves cost that much.

Mr. Cartaphilus: Tsk, tsk! I used to travel a lot, often on the spur of the moment, and sometimes was forced to use those Bic razors. They're junk, they barely shave, and will cut your face all to hell. And you use them with just water? Gol' dang, what a man! Incidently, those are some great pipes you've been carving; what kind of pocket knife do you use? :joker:

puros_bran":x8yn49mc said:
Those Kent brushes are nice.  
Amen! :D Gorgeous! Maybe someday. My Simpson is just a basic Best Badger, it's a great brush and will probably last as long as I do, but those Kents are so sweet. One of these days......

For what it's worth, I have found the Semogue 830 to be awesome. It's weird to get up in the morning and look forward to the way something feels on your face, but there it is. When new, it was like lathering with a broom, but it rapidly softened. Don't know what that was all about. Seems to feel better every time I use it. Don't think I'll venture into the world of badgerdom yet. Money well-spent. Thanks, PB.

I've been using an old antique Badger bristle brush for years that belonged to my grandfather. It's well worn, extremely soft and looks like the middle is worn out?? I'm not familiar with quality brushes or their cost so I never really did any research on this. This old brush works great, feels great and i don't wish to change. I was given a couple of boar bristle brushes that someone picked up at a discount store somewhere. Tried one of them and tossed them in my toolbox for cleaning parts. LOL They were coarse, stiff and didn't work up a lather. At least that was my take on it. Maybe someday I'll go and shop for a decent new Badger brush, but it will have to be soft, not too full and not too pricey. I"m getting on in age and this one has lasted me longer than I can remember. And I have no clue what a new one would cost.

Richard those bristle ends split with use. The longer you use it the better it gets. A well broken in quality Boar is better for me than a big beautiful top shelf badger IMO. The very top end of badger gets to the point that it's to soft for my liking. I like a little scritch.

Doc, a Simpson Special or a whippeddog.com 'build a brush' is about as cheap as I can find and still have quality. I'm sure there's others out there but those are the ones I've used. I won't spend money to be trendy, and I have major problems spending for name brand.. But in some areas cheap is just cheap. If you want to have a good boar brush I recommend the Semogue 1305/620/830 just depending on what handle you want, they all use the top tier of boar bristles and they are all under $20-25.. Buy it.. (I forgot to tell Richard this) spend a week building a lather with it but using your old brush to lather.. That will speed the 'breaking in' tip split that makes them soft.

PB,
Thank You for that information. At those prices I would definitely look up some of your recommendations. I never realized that Boar bristle would soften with use. Just a newbie with using a bristle brush I've only been using my Grand Dad's for about 20 years. LOL
After having a full beard back when I was much younger for about 15 years, I look forward to a nice lathered shave. :D

I used to frequent a shop in Cambridge, MA called Leavitt & Pierce. In around 1981 or 2 I got the excellent advice: " buy a badger brush, it's the best, it will last your entire lifetime. You can buy this one au natural for $35 or get a bleached whiteone for $75. Get the cheaper one. It's just as good and you'll save $40."

Needless to say I bought it, it's from France, 'Plusson' or something of the like, my wife threw out the little cardboard and plastic container I'd saved for traveling, much to my chagrin. Anyway, yes, I still use it nearly everyday and it's still perfect for a good spread of shave soap, regardless of the quality of soap.

One of those deals that actually worked out.