Badger brush?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my first badger brush when I went in the service from my father when I was 18 and have used it for 50 years now and it;s finally worn down to where I got another two weeks ago. It is still usable I just thought a new one to go into my 70's would be nice :lol: :lol:
Naturally the prices today are much more for Badger than 50 years ago so I went looking around and found these folks on the web, Wet Shaving Products and found this Monarch Silvertip Badger brush for what I thought was a reasonable price, $59.99. It is "breaking in" beautifully, producing loads of lather with my Williams soap and only getting better with each use !! Here's a few pics from WSP of this brush:

Have been using soap and a brush and a DE razor since I was 16 and firmly reccomend a pure badger brush from a usage and longevity basis. :twisted:

I almost went with a horse hair but at the time I was hauling horses and figured "these boys get rowdy enough as it is, I sure don't want to rub Rosey's butt on my face"

Richard Burley":jnxyqnef said:
I don't like soft, as I've indicated above. Anyone tried horsehair?  :bball:
Yep, years ago. Was scratchy like Boar. Don't like scratchy, like soft !! :twisted: :twisted: Why don'y you get one Richard and report back what you think. They seem reasonably priced ! :twisted: :twisted:

I have a boar as well as a Shavemac d01 custom. Majority of the time I prefer the feel of the d01. It's more dense and just feels nice. I enjoy my boar once and a while. I use creams and a scuttle so I don't need what the face lathers do.

I"m one of those guys that likes softy bristles as well, lol. I was going to order the same recommended brush as Monbla but going through a consignment shop recently I came across a brand new silver tip badger brush and was blown away from the quality for a mere $12. I've used it for a month now and it's amazing. My old grand dad's brush finally just wore out after about 80 years of use!!!! This new brush is a treat to use everyday even though it has no history. It'll be good for another few generations I"m sure.
Andy

docwatson":ygz4rund said:
I"m one of those guys that likes softy bristles as well, lol. I was going to order the same recommended brush as Monbla but going through a consignment shop recently I came across a brand new silver tip badger brush and was blown away from the quality for a mere $12. I've used it for a month now and it's amazing. My old grand dad's brush finally just wore out after about 80 years of use!!!! This new brush is a treat to use everyday even though it has no history. It'll be good for another few generations I"m sure.
Andy
Andy,
THAT'S the best deal on a new silvertip ever !! As it "breaks in", you'll get loads of nice rich lather from your Williams soap !! As you know from your grand dad's they only get better with use !! Enjoy your new "find" and keep shopping at that shop !! :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks for the info and kind comments. It was surely an incredible find. Couldn't believe it when I saw that beautiful brush for such a reasonable price. And yes, the Williams it the old standard for me as it is for you. :D

Interesting reading gents.

I am definitely one for tradition but I'm going to pop a spanner in the works here.

I was gifted a Plisson brush for Christmas that I've been very impressed with. Granted, being my first I've not got anything to compare it to, but that said, it does what it's meant to - generates lots of lather very quickly and feels great on the face. All good so far, but I must share with you that it's synthetic.

Now as I understand it Plisson are a French brand that are respected in the shaving world and have a great pedigree. It seems they've put a lot of research into this brush as it's highly regarded in the shaving community and is referred to as the BOTG - Brush of the Gods.

So, if you haven't done so already and you're in the market for a new brush, maybe this one is worth a look?

Stick":tgia0b1k said:

I am definitely one for tradition but I'm going to pop a spanner in the works here.

I was gifted a Plisson brush for Christmas that I've been very impressed with.  Granted, being my first I've not got anything to compare it to, but that said, it does what it's meant to - generates lots of lather very quickly and feels great on the face.  All good so far, but I must share with you that it's synthetic.

Now as I understand it Plisson are a French brand that are respected in the shaving world and have a great pedigree.  It seems they've put a lot of research into this brush as it's highly regarded in the shaving community and is referred to as the BOTG - Brush of the Gods.

So, if you haven't done so already and you're in the market for a new brush, maybe this one is worth a look?
Stick.
I went to the Plisson site and found what I think are the brushes you mentioned you now have ? There pricing is similar to Badger but more than Boar ranging from $38.97 to $246.40 !! They look nice for sure.

http://blaireauxplisson.com/en/39-shavingbrushes-fiber

Plisson! Thanks very much for bringing back to mind the name of my brush, Stick. I thought it was as gone from view as much as the box it came in

monbla256":9upunaa4 said:
Stick":9upunaa4 said:

I was gifted a Plisson brush for Christmas that I've been very impressed with.  Granted, being my first I've not got anything to compare it to, but that said, it does what it's meant to - generates lots of lather very quickly and feels great on the face.  All good so far, but I must share with you that it's synthetic.

Now as I understand it Plisson are a French brand that are respected in the shaving world and have a great pedigree.  It seems they've put a lot of research into this brush as it's highly regarded in the shaving community and is referred to as the BOTG - Brush of the Gods.

Stick.
I went to the Plisson site and found what I think are the brushes you mentioned you now have ?  There pricing is similar to Badger but more than Boar ranging from $38.97 to $246.40 !! They look nice for sure.

Yup, that's the chappies Michael. If you're able to pick one up for close to $40, by UK standards you'll have done very well. They're very cleverly made. If you look very closely at individual fibres in the knot they even have a wave in them like the real thing and are tapered along their length. If you pulled the trigger, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

smoker13":k3pthgmj said:
Plisson! Thanks very much for bringing back to mind the name of my brush, Stick.  I thought it was as gone from view as much as the box it came in
...pleased I could help!

Stick":b0grc1qp said:
monbla256":b0grc1qp said:
Stick":b0grc1qp said:

Stick.
I went to the Plisson site and found what I think are the brushes you mentioned you now have ?  There pricing is similar to Badger but more than Boar ranging from $38.97 to $246.40 !! They look nice for sure.

Yup, that's the chappies Michael.  If you're able to pick one up for close to $40, by UK standards you'll have done very well.  They're very cleverly made.  If you look very closely at individual fibres in the knot they even have a wave in them like the real thing and are tapered along their length.  If you pulled the trigger, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Stick,
I only need ONE brush and my new one will last me till I die so why would I want to get another? :twisted: :twisted: Did you look at that e-mail I posted about brush care ? Some interesting stuff that was new to me !! :twisted: :twisted:

Mm, fair point Michael.

I wasn't able to open the article mate. You may need to cut and paste the main content?