Bagpipers??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
Anyone here a piper? I play the pipes about 5 yrs now. More addicted to this than even chess I suppose ( maybe the same...lol)

I started my solo competition circuit last month. I have my next one in Jersey next weekend.

Davey the Loud

I was told that a gentleman was someone who knew how to play the bagpipes but refrained.

I didn't even know there was a competitive circuit for pipers. Good luck!

My father's a piper, but badly out of practice since my (non-Scottish) mother only has so much patience. I don't even have the wind strength for the practice chanter.

I like hearing a good bagpiper play and like even better that he doesn't live next door to me :D

good afternoon gentlemen( meself excluded of course ;)

Yes in my area it is the entire east coast from main to Georgia nd a bit out to the midwest..a big area with alot of good pipers.

I compete mostly as a guage to see how I am progressing. When a professional piper judges you and says "well done" first place ( or 4th for that matter) it means something. There are 4 amatuer grades with 4 being the lowest and 1 being the highest. After that it is "Open" which is pro. Last year I got bumped up to grade 3.

Decent pipers here...we'll see how it goes. :bom:

I love hearing someone play the 'Pipes'. Unfortunately, out in this part of the country about the only time we get to here them is for 'Taps'. I tried picking up the electric guitar a few years ago when my grandson did. Back then I still used to tip a few(well,several). I thought I was wailing like Ted Nugent, the neighbors accused me of putting live cats down the insinkerator butt first. I decided to give it up.LOL

Bd

Never Forget!

At times, I wish I had some musical talent and a few years ago I almost bought a set of electric pipes...they do have a volume switch. LOL I finally came to the decision I would be a better spectator. I do love to listen outdoors!

What interests me more are the Uillian Pipes. They say those were invented by Irishmen so they could drink and play at the same time.

Jim

My neighbor is of Scottish heritage and plays the pipes.

A lot of our music has Scottish roots. I play bluegreass guitar and a lot of the melodies are Scottish/Celtic in nature. The mountains of NC and VA were primarliy settled by the Scottish. My dad was from Galax, VA in the Blueridge Mountains and my grandmother played the banjo. We have one of the largest highland games gatherings near Boone, NC.

Hope you do well Davey!

I have no musical talent what so ever. My next door neighbor on the other hand is a fiddler. He generally practices jigs and reels on his back deck and when he does I smoke on my patio. :D

I too have some Scottish heritage. Nonetheless, a man must distinguish the limits of dignity. Perhaps this quote can assist:

These are bagpipes. I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made sound never equaled the purity of the sound achieved by the pig.

Alfred Hitchcock (1899 - 1980)

He he.