Balkan Sasieni

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyO

Reaction score
So I see it is back in the states now and available at a couple sites, on pre-order sale at habana premium [pipesandcigars.com] , yet I have not seen one word about it here, at CPS, or on ASP...So is this like not a big deal or is the news just slow to get around...?

Just curious as to why nobody is talking about it...I assume everyone is too busy smoking Maltese Falcon and pondering Greg's next brew of tobacco magic. :suspect:

I think there is a thread around hear someplace. At the time, I don't think anyone was too excited. Too many better blends out there.

I searched but most likely misspelled it...what does sasieni mean anyways?
You're right about better tobaccos, I'm looking forward to trying Maltese Falcon and the new McClelland Grand Oriental mixtures :cheers:

That's a good question. A simple Google search didn't bring up any city in the middle east that might be associated with a tobacco variety. Not that I saw. The name Sasieni is associated with quality briar pipes. I am not sure what the family name actually is that owns the recipe for Balkan Sobranie. I understand that there is supposed to be some connection. But I don't know the details.

How do you like the latest production run of Balkan Sasieni JohnnyO? I see in your photos that you cracked a tin.

Does it taste the same as it did before it was discontinued?

(Hey Dock, how 'bout moving this thread over to the tobacco Jar? Maybe we can get some more hits on it.)

I have a few large tins (several years old) of this stuff "resting!" I always enjoyed it; but it is in no way Balkan Sobranie 759!!!!! Been hard the last few years not having my daily fix of that wonderful "Blue Mountain Latakia!!!" Man, that was good stuff!! FTRPLT

tin man":k7phvtrc said:
How do you like the latest production run of Balkan Sasieni JohnnyO? I see in your photos that you cracked a tin.

Does it taste the same as it did before it was discontinued?

(Hey Dock, how 'bout moving this thread over to the tobacco Jar? Maybe we can get some more hits on it.)
Never tried the old stuff, never tried Sobranie either...

What I can compare it to is PS Balkan Supreme...many people say it is similar or even the same thing since villager/stokkebye imports Balkan Sasieni...
PS Balkan Supreme I would call a medium english, all I taste is latakia and virginias, while Balkan Sasieni has a big emphasis on the orientals. In the tin I can smell their sweet clove/allspice scents and in the pipe I can taste them almost in the forefront really with the latakia and virginias playing supporting roles. More latakia than say Presbyterian mixture but less than PS Balkan Supreme and many other english/balkan blends I've tried. :cheers:

Always ready to try a good Balkan, and never too busy to think about Greg's next blend!

IMHO, Balkan Sasieni is okay, but nothing special. There is no comparison between Balkan Sasieni and Balkan Sobranie, the Sobranie being an Outstanding blend, only surpassed by Balkan Sobranie 759!

There are far too many better Balkan blends out there than Balkan Sasieni!

JohnnyFlake":2rnp7qdl said:
IMHO, Balkan Sasieni is okay, but nothing special. There is no comparison between Balkan Sasieni and Balkan Sobranie, the Sobranie being an Outstanding blend, only surpassed by Balkan Sobranie 759!

JohnnyO, the Flake Master has spoken!

JohnnyFlake":e18w2o33 said:

Ditto!

Why does every Balkan blend have to be compared to Balkan Sobranie?

:scratch:

I wonder the same thing Tinny... BUT in this instance Sasieni is supposed to be Sombranie.. Supposedly the original family regained the rights to the Recipe and distribution blah blah blah, Who knows.

tin man":wtb5sqm3 said:
Why does every Balkan blend have to be compared to Balkan Sobranie?

:scratch:
The reason, as I understand it, is that when the Sobranie of London blends were still being made, and were readily available in the USA, the Balkan Blends (Original Mixture and 759) were considered by many, to be the best ever produced, and as a result, they became the benchmarks of Balkan Blends, so to speak!