Balken Sasieni--my journey

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfly

Reaction score
I've been smoking a pipe off and on for about 50 years, but no tobacco really caught my attention until several months ago when I ordered a bag of Newminster English Luxus. I fell in love at first smoke. But I made the mistake of starting to read the forums. You people made me wonder if I was missing something.

I continued to smoke my Newmister, but on each order, I tried small amounts of some of the other tobaccos. First I tried the Sutliff English Sampler (African Queen, Bysantium, English Oriental, and Medium English). They were all fine (especially the Medium English and the English Oriental) but, in my lowly opinion, no better than my NEL.

So, I figured that if I liked the Newminster English Luxus, I'd like the Newminster Ultimate English. Big mistake. For some reason, that particular tobacco bit my tongue bad--and the bite lasted a good 24 hours.

Based on discussion on the forum, I tried Carter Hall and Prince Albert. Both were surprisingly good. As was Sutliff Mild Burley. They'll stick around, but never supplant NEL. I tried Mississippi River. Not a bad tobacco, but not really to my liking.

Again based on forum discussions, my last order included Dunhill Nightcap (which seems a bit mild for my taste), Squadron Leader (which seemed to have less taste than NEL), PS Proper English (Very good--I'll probably order more of that).

But then I opened the Balkan Saseini. I fell in love all over again. That is wonderful stuff. As much taste as NEL, but smokier and more peppery with what to me is a slightly metalic taste that I really enjoy. Will I leave my beloved Newminster English Luxus for this new tobacco? Just maybe.

There's are also tins of Presbyterian and Gaslight, I haven't opened yet. I'm afraid I'll become a fickle lover.

(Please understand that the comments above are strictly the musings of someone whose palate is far less sophisticated than many on this forum. It's just a map of my trip.)

Have no idea what you've been smoking for the last 50, but seems to me you have discovered that you have an "English" tongue!!! I went thru the same revelation many years ago (we are of a similar age!!). If Nightcap and Sq. Ldr. are a bit "light" for you; plus you enjoy Proper English and Balkan Sasieni (all favs of mine!!), them my guess is you have an "English" tongue. Methinks you will thoroughly enjoy Presby (another of my favs) and GLP's Gaslight (haven't had yet!!). Do not be dismayed that you also enjoy CH and PA! I have rediscovered Burley in the last few years; these are two of my "always have arounds!!" Let us know your thoughts on Presby and Gaslight!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

If you ever were able to smoke the black/gold tin of Balkan Sobranie 759 "back in the day" you're probably still looking for something like it ! Try L.J.Peretii's Royal Blend as it's the closest I've smoked recently to it. I smoked 759 almost exclusively for over 30 years till they started monkeying around with it and finally stopped making it !! The ULTIMATE English/Balkan IMHO :twisted: :twisted: Royal Blend will take you back in time and if you like Latakia and Orientals, it's the ONLY one !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I think you hit the nail on the head, ftrplt. Those aromatics and a few tobacconist's store blends I smoked over the years never really satisfied me. The "English" blends do. I tried the Presbyterian and the Gaslight and liked them both. The Presbyterian seemed very mild to me but the Gaslight was strange. I didn't particularly love it when I lit it up, but the further down the bowl I got, the more it called to me. There was just something there, beyond my reach, that I wanted. Maybe this is what some of the more sophisticated tastes call "complexity". If it is, I want more of it.

There really isn't a one of these tobaccos (except Newminster Ultimate English) that I would turn my nose up at. But the Balkan Sasieni and the Gaslight are going to get a lot more burning time.

monbla256--If you've found a tobacco that will take me back to a time when I could walk trout streams all morning and then play 18 in the afternoon, I want it! Royal Blend is now on my "to smoke" list. Thanks for the suggestion.

monbla256":722ngwzv said:
If you ever were able to smoke the black/gold tin of Balkan Sobranie 759 "back in the day" you're probably still looking for something like it ! Try L.J.Peretii's Royal Blend as it's the closest I've smoked recently to it. I smoked 759 almost exclusively for over 30 years till they started monkeying around with it and finally stopped making it !! The ULTIMATE English/Balkan IMHO  :twisted: :twisted: Royal Blend will take you back in time and if you like Latakia and Orientals, it's the ONLY one !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Gotta' go along with you on Royal!! Absolutely great stuff. :D FTRPLT

Give Bowlegged Bear and Quiet Nights a try. They are quite enjoyable and fulfilling.