Barling Meerschuam.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking pipe. I have a yellow Barling bent bulldog meer that belonged to my late Father in law and has a similar look. I think I bought it for him around 1979-80 for Christmas.

Cool stuff, wasn't me. Reminds me of the Pete meers you see from time to time on ebay.

i.keenum":oeh8iilp said:
Cool stuff, wasn't me. Reminds me of the Pete meers you see from time to time on ebay.
Made in the same factory.. Back then. The newer Pete Meers are an entirely different beast.

i.keenum":7otftyur said:
Yep... it does look very Pete-ish. I believe the older Petes were that greyish African meerschaum that I don't think is used anymore...wish I had one. They sometimes painted them black or colored them in some fashion. I'm pretty sure they found out a way to get Turkish meer turned over there for 'em nowadays.

8)

Been wanting one of the pete meers for a while with a sterling silver military mount. They are so thick they look like they can take a beating and smoke really cool.

i.keenum":v61y5xtp said:
Been wanting one of the pete meers for a while with a sterling silver military mount. They are so thick they look like they can take a beating and smoke really cool.
A guy at my local Tinder Box collects Pete Meers, and some of the stuff he'd bring in (he's been absent for a few years) was gorgeous. He said the newer ones didn't have quite the same feel and "soul" as the old ones, but I hear that a lot from pipe guys about the pipes of yore. He had one that he'd been smoking for 25 years, once a greyish-white, became a deep tea-colored brown. He let the sterling ferrule at the stem tarnish over time, and it was a mottled-blue that really made the pipe look fantastic.

Hope you end up with a good one soon.

Have an old ('60's) Pete meer made from Tanganyikan (Tanzania today!) meerschaum. Bent bulldog in a deep brown/blackish finish with reddish highlights. Has always smoked well. FTRPLT

ftrplt":i4yve7cl said:
Have an old ('60's) Pete meer made from Tanganyikan (Tanzania today!) meerschaum. Bent bulldog in a deep brown/blackish finish with reddish highlights. Has always smoked well. FTRPLT
That's one of those hard-to-find good ol' African meer Petes, for sure. I would do shameful and illegal things to get that exact pipe. Just sayin'. :albino: :albino: :albino:

8)

I would say that's pretty depraved. I'd rank it up there with going with a friend to an AA meeting for a couple of six packs.

LOL. Not at all PB. I've never seen a bible that comes with an admonition that once you buy it its yours for life. Look at it like this you're just spreading the word. Besides someone has to give you a hard time.

You're already paying the piper I'd say what with your back problem.