Beads v/s Drymistat

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
I've found myself in a pretty neat situation of getting to start over with more knowledge than I had the first go round.

This time around I'm skipping the humidor and going straight to a coolador. I'm comfortable with the drymistat but I keep reading about these ViperBeads. Anyone care to Pro/Con the two? If you prefer the beads do you have a decent source? All I come up with is a deadlink for the distributer.

Mr "Collins",

shoot Lucky a PM if he does not respond here today( which he most likely will) as he has a lot more info on the beads. vipers I have never tried.

Hats of to you on the coolerdor...solid decision IMHO. Lining with cedar is believe it or not a nice touch which has benefits but not necessary. If its long term storage I'd recommend the rh70%, but if yoiu have no" go-between" from your coolerdor to your mouth, I'd recommend the rh65% in whatever system you decide upon. Just my .02 worth. Keep us posted!

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/

i would go with 65 beeds... better to be a little dry then to moist, also IMO the higher the RH your more prone to bad burns, mold and the hated cigar beetle.

"viper" is the guys handle, he posts on a few cigar boards.

LOL@Davey... Thanks for knowing who that is, I had a pm shortly after putting that up asking me if I was a Nazi...lol...uhhhhh No.

Thanks for the clarification Nick. I haven't played on the pipeboards much the last year or so except to visit cigarpass's piperoom.

Edited in: Sorry Davey you got me thinkin 'Lucky' when you brought him up.

I love the beads. They hold humidity at a stable % (depends on what % beads you buy). I prefer 65% beads. They also recover the humidity quicker after opening a humidor/cooler-dor. Basically what the beads do is; say you buy 65% beads, you moisten the beads as per the directions (which says to partially moisten), and it will hold the humidity at 65%. If the humidity gets below 65%, the beads will release more moisture. If the humidity goes above 65% the beads will absorb the extra humidity. They are awesome. http://heartfeltindustries.com is where I bought mine from. They have a calculator there as well which will help you determine how much beads to buy. I would suggest going over the amount that the calculator says, but that is just my opinion. Hope this helps.

LOL...glad it made you smile, PB. I figure it is one of those things that you assume noone knows...wanted to let you know you're not alone :)

BTW..that link is great above. Good stuff all around.

PB,

IMHO it is good to have breads at 65 Rh in a humidor that you will use to smoke from. If you want the cigars to age for a while, 70Rh would be optimum. But, like the others have stated, you will run into burn problems if you tap into a humidor that is at 70 rh. The higher temperature (70*F +) is more a factor for cigar beetles then the Rh. So I wouldn't be afraid to use 70 Rh beads.

But, may I suggest a walk-in humidor? They don't take up much room and you can build one fairly cheap. When I built my new house Davey and I constructed my walk-in in 3 days! Total cost was aroung $650 from start to finish. I had more money wrapped up in smaller humidors then I did in my walk-in. Just a suggestion :drunken:

Back to the beads... they take up more space in a humidor but, they do a great job! Heartfelt is the place to get them from too.

If you would like to know how I built my walk-in just drop me a line. I could let you know how we did it and maybe give you some ideas to play with.

Lucky

Great thread!!! My humidor is due for a new humidifier.

If I buy a Heartfelt Humidity tube, do I have to purchase the beads separately or does it come pre-filled? How do I know when the beads are no longer working?

Has anyone tried the bulk beads and the mesh bag? That looks interesting too.

Thanks in advance . . . . :mrgreen:

The tubes come with the beads already in them. Just pick which size you need based off of the calculator that they have on their site. I use the loose beads in the mesh bag for my cooler-dor. They both work great.