Beaters

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gentlemen and ladies,

What pipes do you carry during your outdoor pursuits? Your normal reliable rotation? A cheap cob, Woodie, or Grabow? None at all? Or do you smoke different tobaccos in the wild as opposed to normally?

As for me, I don't yet own enough pipes to have a choice in the matter.

—OM

I know this is silly, but I have a work pipe I smoke when working at my B&M.
I also take this out when I go for nature walks, shooting, and on my next hunting venture it will be there as well. It's a straight Bulldog from Savinelli.
Not really a beater, but I just love how it smokes and it's light to clench. It is the only pipe in my collection that I clench in my teeth...I can't really decide why this is my "beater"... it's a quality pipe and all...I just feel like I can abuse it because it is one of my favourites!

Mostly it is a VA pipe, but I smoke straight cavendishes in it as well

Ive got a Czech pipe that I use as my carrying around pipe. In the car, walking outside, etc. It is a decent straight grain, that I picked up at a B&M a few years back for $35 bucks on clearance. After a couple months of smoking it, it actually turned into a pretty good smoking pipe.

I usually tool around with whichever I have in the rotation. I smoke all my pipes, even the nice ones so they´ll go with me too. I do have a couple of real beaters- most notably a Smokers Haven "Grade B Deluxe" (isn´t that an oxymoron?!) basket pipe. Cost me $12 at the time. It´s got HUGE fills. It´s a good smoker though and I like it because I´ve had it for over 20 years!

I like struttin' about with my best pipes, though usually smaller ones.

Harlock999":412dfmf6 said:
I like struttin' about with my best pipes, though usually smaller ones.
Me too. The smaller the better because they have to fit in my waist pack without forcing...

I´d love to get a couple of the chubby nosewarmers to use during the day....

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t1500-my-nosewarmer-collection

i take a couple very large mario grandi`s out huntin and fishin. that way i don`t have to repack as often. :bounce:

I usually take one of my pipes that I am using during that weeks rotation. It usually ends up being a couple that are setting on my desk when I am packing up for either a hunting or fishing trip. Tobacco's are usually a burley or English blend. Burley during the day and an English blend while sitting around the camp fire sipping on a glass of Scotch or Cognac. When fishing I tend to take one of my old beater pipes just in case it drops into the water while fishing on my one man pontoon boat.

At work I carry a little short Red Dot "Sport" around in my uniform pants pocket.
It takes up less room than my cell phone and if it breaks, which is very doubtful, it's no big deal.

It sure is nice to pull out after a good working house fire in the middle of the night and light-her-up!

Dr. Grabow small bent billiards are my first choice for outdoor activities. Through the years I've found they don't float and can be difficult to find when spit out on a wild grouse or quail flush. I use to could buy them for $10 to $15 so it was no big deal to lose one. Another plus is they're being filter pipes I don't have to take cleaners along on my exploits.

Jim

For hard outdoor use I have a Dr. Grabow Royal Duke that I got on clearance at a Rite aid for $12 and a few cobs. I usually grab which h ever one strikes my fancy on the way out the door.

I have a handful of Savinelli seconds that Piet fixed up for me that work just fine. My favourite outdoor tobacco is OGS.

I don't yet have any extravagant pipes but when I squirrel hunt I take a grabow viking bent that I've had since I was a teen. It's light and doesn't get in the ay when I'm looking through the scope.
I usually smoke half and half while in the woods. The critters don't seem to mind that one as much.

a Quiet Comrade, the three piece design with the aluminum body is highly durable, and packs easily

Although i don't consider it a "Beater" my new and favorite pipe to be outdoors with while slinging some cedar with my longbow or shooting black powder is a Boswell fishing pipe. Very handy as they have a lanyard attachment & removable firescreen if conditions are dry. This is my first time posting a pic, i'll see if i can attach it.