Been playing in the shop and created two pipes.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikem

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I've been putting a lot of hours in at work lately and decided to do some relaxing. Witch for me is playing in my garage/shop. I'm "trying" and I do mean "trying" to become a pipe maker. Even if it is just for me and my friends. Here are two eight sided paneled Pokers that I made using my mini-mill, files and a lot of sanding.
100_0817.jpg
[/url][/img]
100_0818.jpg
[/url][/img]

That's really cool Mike, I like the bottom one the best.

Really great - looks like two fun projects indeed!

Tell us a bit more about the staining if you could. I would be interested to know what you used and how it was applied, etc.

I used alcohol based stains. I use large cotton ball (1/2") type swabs. The first coat was an orange stain which I buffed out to get off the excess than a yellow stain which I again buffed off the excess. I followed this up with waxing and buffing with Carnauba wax. Before staining I buffed using red tripoli and then sanded with 200, 320, 400, 600 then 1500 grit sand paper until I was satisfied that I had removed any scratch marks.

Those look great. I too like the bottom one best. Keep up the good work. And since you are just doing that for yourself and friends; ummmm need a new friend?

Nice job on both of those pipes.

It takes quite a bit of skill and patience to produce a panel bowl and diamond shank as well as you did on the second pipe.

Definitely my favorite of the two.

Mike B

Nice work Mike. I too prefer the slimmer diamond shape of the second. I like the staining.

Great job, you obviously have patience and skill. Anyone would be proud to own either.

Great work....nice pipes....especially the second one!! The woodwork impresses me, but I'm truly impressed with the stem work! I know nothing about making stems/bits. :pipe: FTRPLT

Mikem,

Thanks for the detailed info. - that is really impressive and I for one would like to hear more about the process. Perhaps the next pipe you make, or one already in the works, might be the subject of an ongoing thread in which you describe the process each step along the way (along with a few pics as you finish each major stage?). It would be very educational for many of us (but perhaps might be too time consuming though).

In any event, looks like great fun and I wish you well in this - very cool indeed!

Mike,
I don't care for those pipes, but they show your skill as a carver. Do you sell your pipes? It would be an honor to add one of yours to my American pipe collection. I have some pipes that other members have made for me and they are cherished pieces.
TO

Great skill and patience on your part! Two fine looking pieces that would go great in any collection.

Nice work Mike :D .

I imagine that's a wonderful addition to your joy of our hobby. Keep it up.

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I still need to do some more practice. Especially on the stem work. Maybe :lol!: in a couple of months I might try and sell some of my work. :pipe:

Very nice for your first efforts,about how many hours do you figure it took
you for one of those?
I'd like to do something like that when I retire.

Winslow :sunny: