Beer!!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefBull

Reaction score
Oh boy Oh boy!
Spent our 46th up in 'Beerkshires'
She who must be obeyed in the antique shops
I in the microbreweries.
The good Muslim goes to Mecca
The good Jew goes to Jersualem
The good Catholic goes to Rome
Bullard goes to the 'Beerkshires'.
If any of the Brothers are up that way go to the 'Big Elm' microbrewery in Sheffield, Mass. They brew what is quite possibly the very best 'Nut Brown English Country Ale' ever. You may as well be a Yorkie or in the west country before you will get any the better. Their offering is 'Red Lion', which is sold as a house ale for the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, Mass. 'Red Lion Inn' has been in business since 1773; the great Washington stayed there once.
Red Lion Ale is a 'Nut Brown' minimally filtered unpasteurized English Country Ale. Unpasteurized beer is "the only" way to drink; shelf life is only about 60 days so somebody has got to drink [a hard task]. But, your taste buds will reward You. It is not a Heffeweizen, but close. It is the closest you will ever come to drinking a loaf of really good bread, malty very slightly hopped [a characteristic of English ales] with a wonderful 'wheaty' finish to it. DO NOT Ice this beer down; that's like saying 'American Samurai sword'. It just doesn't translate. Let it sit a bit, warm to just "slightly cool"; pour a Pint. The head is tight [natural brew carbonization] and creamy, another characteristic of beers and ales from the British Isles. With an Old English Roast Beef it is a full and satisfying meal, a bit of grilled parsnip, broiled potato, shallot, and carrot, and a Claret reduction it is a 'Red Lion' standout. . With a bowl of your favorite [Virginia Red Cake] or 'Dark English' it is as close a you can come to dope and not have it called that, a very full satisfying experience on a cold winter's day afternoon.
Beer, Beer, Beer, glorious Beer
Fills you right up to Here
Oh drink til' yer' full of it
So Drink til' yer' made of it
And Drink Beer, Beer Glorious Beer

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

So...do you like beer?  :lol: 

Me, too. Would love to try this;you have me drooling, sir.

Well it is funny, hahahaha and as in curious!
If you are a beer drinker, this is probably one of the best times to be live and 'drinking'. Got onto my fascination with Beer when I got my first R/R leave from down south [VietNam] and opted for HongKong. Had my first brush up and taste of Guinness, and was hooked. For an Irish farm kid from Kansas, this was great.
Too many people think they have to go to Scotland, Ireland, England or Germany, not so, maybe once upon a time, but not now. Go to Texasn[yeah! the Lone Star State!] an try 'Alamo Golden Ale' It's good, really good. or to Yeungling's in Pottsville Pa. the oldest family owned brewery in continuous operation; they fought of Anheuser Busch and made it stick. Some of the best beer ever is brewed right in the Berkshires, to rival anything in the British Isles.

regards
Anchro'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

I'll drink to that!

drunk3.gif

Cheers,

RR

th_beersmiley1.gif

Go to the 'Spoetzle Brewery' in Shiner Texas; owned by a Tex/Mex. guy named Morales. Might be Latino but he's Deutsche in the gut. The man can brew beer; the brewery was opened in 1913 by [yeah! you guessed the German guys named 'Shiner'] One of their offerings is "Shinerbock",good as it gets. Go to the "Salt-Grass Steakhouse" in Houston and order up their 2" thick PorterHouse and a pint of 'Shinerbock' and ya' got an all week meal;you'll see your ribs when you're done. in Houson if you go to the Houston Rennaisance fair [8 months out of the year actually the largest costume party in the world for the folks of Houston] you can go to a German Beer garden and get a'Dortmunder' as good as anything in the 'heimat' with speotzle, rollerbratten, and the most delicate schnitzel. "Chicken Fried Steak" [also at the Salt-Grass] is the Texas version.
Nice Thing?---you can sit don and light up a bowl and absolutely no one bothers you and listen to some damned good German BrauHaus bands.

regards
Anchor'Aweigh/SemperFi
ChieBull
Ein Prosit!

Lagunitas has some of the best craft beer on the market. Priced fairly too.

Be a good boy
'spect yer' elders
eeecher' spinach
an whenya' die
yew tew will it to go to Texas

regards
ChiefBull

Speaking of beer from Massachusetts......
I just blasted through two bombers of "Chocolate Sombrero" by Clown Shoes.
Really want to try the "Luchador En Fuego"  :twisted: 

Also, had some "Robust Porter" by Smuttynose (Not a MA based company, but New Hampshire......close enough, eh?)

McNellies Pub in OKC has 60 beers on Tap - they know how to pour a Guinness - 3rd floor is smoking -
and yes 60 beers are on tap as well up top - looks out over the city skyline - pretty cool!
It's a beautiful morning - had coffee at 6A in Guthrie with an old friend of mine - even though we have
had rain - sleet and snow this morning - it's still coming down - sitting in my office smoking my
favorite pipe - Erik Nording - Skandinavik Full Aroma!

Make It A Great Tuesday!

Semper Fi

ChiefBull":p3pno7db said:
Go to the 'Spoetzle Brewery' in Shiner Texas; owned by a Tex/Mex. guy named Morales.  Might be Latino but he's Deutsche in the gut.  The man can brew beer; the brewery was opened in 1913 by [yeah! you guessed the German guys named 'Shiner'] One of their offerings is "Shinerbock",good as it gets. Go to the "Salt-Grass Steakhouse" in Houston and order up their 2" thick PorterHouse and a pint of 'Shinerbock' and ya' got an all week meal;you'll see your ribs when you're done.  in Houson if you go to the Houston Rennaisance fair [8 months out of the year actually the largest costume party in the world for the folks of Houston] you can go to a German Beer garden and get a'Dortmunder' as good as anything in the 'heimat' with speotzle, rollerbratten, and the most delicate schnitzel.  "Chicken Fried Steak" [also at the Salt-Grass] is the Texas version.
Nice Thing?---you can sit don and light up a bowl and absolutely no one bothers you and listen to some damned good German BrauHaus bands.

regards
Anchor'Aweigh/SemperFi
ChieBull
Ein Prosit!

Lots-o-German communities and influence in Texas.  Read an interesting article a while back tracing the move of the tuba from German immigrant polka bands into the Mexican rancharo music.  Today, a rancharo band with a good tuba player can demand a much higher pay than one without it. 

During the same period that millions of Germans were immigrating to the U.S., mid to later 1800s, several million also immigrated throughout Central and South America.  Almost every national brewery in Latin America was founded by a German immigrant (but then, the same can be said of most U.S. brewery founders!).  When U.S. troops were advancing on Mexico City during the U.S.-Mexican war, most of the countries leaders were occupied with the latest dance craze to mesmerize them, the polka.

Natch

Ain't life great or whattttt?
My Da' was born in Ooolagah [sp] Oklahoma
His Da' was hunting partners with Will Rogers, fished the Neosho River, and 'brewed his own beer' in Coffeyville.
The other GrandDa' was a 'Stout' German farm boy in Ooolagah and a deputized part of the posse [actually an ambush] that shot up the Dalton Gang that was 'spreading the wealth around' trying to rob two banks in Coffeyville on the same day.
Bloodie 'Heinies' get everywhere, good folks.
Smutty Nose? had it, pretty good stuff. You ever get a chance try the new Narragansett offerings, good as beer gets:
a. Fest-autumn and Thanksgiving--heavy and malty
b. Noble Pils-really a good Czech [Bohemian] Beer
c. Boch- comes out late winter ready for Easter
e. Coffee-Milk Oatmeal Stout- heavy with a bit of coffee in the finish, a ChristMass beer
f. Summer Ale-dry with a bit of citrus zest in the swallow good lawn mowing summer ale
g. Cream- good anytime malty with a nice hop to it
h. Narragansett Long Neck- their standard, head and shoulders over all the potty the nationals offer up a bit sweet but dry; this is Michelob [1940s and1950s] before Anheuser Busch turned it all into U***e.
I. Black Steam-- actually a Porter really full bodied makesya' want a steak !yummie!
I really want to go to the Oklahoma City Cattleman's Steakhouse and get a good steak about 2" thick plate size [actually what some would call a side of beef]

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

Cattlemans is a good steak house in Okc - a little pricey - try Cimarron Steak House - a five
horse shoe quality steak house. It's large - steaks start at $7.99 for an 8 OZ steak including
salad - one side - and the steaks size and price go up from there - well worth the price. They
are all cooked on mesquite. Yes they will cook it Rare - ya want it Rare - they just knock the
horns off - wipe its butt and slap it on a plate according the Cimarron Slim.

It's a beautiful morning in Edmond - just got back from 6AM coffee in Guthrie with a close friend -
it's 8º with windchill -10 to 15º - smoking a Ben Wade - PS Luxury BullsEye Flake -- love it!

Make it a GREAT hump day!

God Bless All Our American Military World Wide And Especially Those Who Have Paid The Ultimate
Price For Our Freedom!!

Cimarron? "...five horseshoes..."? if that don't beat all
Put that on file
BenWade?
Just bought one, a very nice sand blasted Billiard. Balances very nicely, don't have to lock the teeth. A bowl big, deep, and wide, similar to a Hardcastle Executive I have in the Secretary. Now they are my two very most favorite Pipes. Smokes smooth and sweet, Dark English.
I remember when USN had a Basic training Base in Norman.
We lived in Coffeyville and used to go to 'South Coffeyville' [Tulallah] {sp} to visit 'Gram. There was an old Spa' there had a huge positively huge sand bottom pool. Parents would drop in and take us swimming. Good memories.

regards,
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

finishing Beer here.
Mentioned Narragansett Imperial Black Steam
Just finished a war club [220z.] of it
This IS NOT Beer for the faint of heart.
It is 9%, unfiltered, unpasteurized [the only way to go] ale. it has a subtle initial swallow of an 'Imperial Stout'; then you start chewing the beer and you get a pronounced Porter finish to it.
You need a good stought meal for this; don't drink it on an empty tank. Winter time meat loaf and mac/cheese will do.
Try a Ben Wade long Billiard afterwards, Dark English and go to sleep on a food dunk
regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

I'd just be happy if I could find a long neck of ice cold Lone Star here in East Texas.

Cartaphilus":qf8wua67 said:
I'd just be happy if I could find a long neck of ice cold Lone Star here in East Texas.
When I was a kid I had friends in Texas...Used to load up the trunk with it to bring back to Tennessee.

cigarsarge":3c3f5a3b said:
Cartaphilus":3c3f5a3b said:
When I was a kid I had friends in Texas...Used to load up the trunk with it to bring back to Tennessee.
Bring it Back!