bees & honey

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I'm fascinated with bees, and I like honey a lot. I read articles whenever I see them. I find recent bee news to be disgusting and saddening.

honey's not honey
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/

Researchers recreate bee collapse with pesticide-laced corn syrup
April 05, 2012
http://news.mongabay.com/2012/0405-hance_colonycollapse_pesticides.html

Crime
Honey laundering: The sour side of nature’s golden sweetener
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/science/honey-laundering-the-sour-side-of-natures-golden-sweetener/article1859410/singlepage/

"Just heard that Monsanto bought the leading bee research company." = not good news.

I love honey and I usually buy local honey that is made from specific flowers such as blue berries of buckwheat. I prefer raw honey with the impurities and pollen intact because that is where all the goodies are. There is no reason for me to eat the filtered stuff because I have allergies in the spring.

I think most of our health problems come from obsession from breaking everything down and isolating compounds instead of having an holistic effect. That is why vitamin pills are not effective source of vitamins and indeed can cause harm in large quantities. I am Chinese and believe that nature made an orange in a certain way so that all the complex ingredients inside work well together. That is why those Tums with Calcium is bunk because calcium needs acid to absorb.

Another reason I think we have health problems is because of use of iodized salt which puts a huge strain on our system because it leaches lot of minerals from our bodies. We use to eat salt that was not so clean which contain a lot of impurities and other metals creating a balance. I am not saying we should eat impure crap from China, far from it but rather more natural ingredients.

Reading your article you know what I fear most? Chinese producers getting smarter... and realizing that they could make more money not just selling ultra filtered crap.... but perhaps lacing it with "fake" pollen or other garbage to make it look natural and charging premium prices for it. That is my real fear.

I hate Chinese garlic, it is filled with so much pesticide and it is killing our garlic farmers. I can get a large bag for 99 cents.... and in my local hood I can't find Non-Chinese garlic without traveling outside my hood which is horrible.

I think keepers are making their first, and maybe only, honey harvest right now. Time to start watching for local honey. Maybe the old cash box and honor method with C-19 here? Or pay online and pick up?

I'm a huge honey fan, including and especially the varietals that are derived from one source. Orange Blossom has always been my top pic and one can really taste the orange. I've also had a lot of others, some of which were pretty odd - like Broccoli honey. It had a rather vegetable character and it wasn't particularly pleasant!

Also really like Fireweed honey. Something going on there I can't place but it's distinctive. Buckwheat honey is interesting but is more like molasses. After I moved to Arid-zona I got in some Cactus honey, and while it was pleasant enough it wasn't distinctive.

There's some different crops growing just west of me and they always have the hives out in certain times of the year. I stopped at one of the roadside stands and got a quart of raw honey but when I asked what the honey source was the guy only said "local". It's OK but again not distinctive.

Cheers,

RR

I do not use much. But we do have a local keeper whose produce is sold all around our area. That's what we use. No Chinese honey here.

Anyone have a preference as to where to buy bulk honey online? I usually buy it 2 or 5 LBs at a time at the local grocery store, which is supplied by an in-state beekeeper, but they don't offer buckwheat honey and some other things I'd like to try. I was looking at Raw Honey, Honey and Bee Hive Products from Ohio Anyone got any experience with ordering their honey outside of Amazon?

Just opened a fresh jar. Really excellent stuff. Very floral aftertaste. Lovely.

Honey Pacifica. Raw Unfiltered Southern California Sage Honey.

F34EED92-44A8-4478-BBBB-B7BD7670E082.jpeg

The "Boss" and I always keep local-made honey around the kitchen. Oklahoma honey in one place; North Carolina honey for back there!!! I seek out the good stuff with the honey-comb in it!! I've found that local farmers markets are great places to get the local stuff. Just make sure it's really "local!!" I use honey to sweeten my tea!! Great stuff!!!