Beff in red wine

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eklektos44

Reaction score
This is a fairly easy recipe for beef in red wine. It's not Julia Childs Boeuf Bourguignon, which is wonderful but a genuine pain in the keister to make. This is easy and tasty. So give it a try.

aQDwWM.jpg

Beef in Red Wine

2 tbs oil
4 tbs Butter
2 lbs beef cubed into 1/2" portions
4 tbs all purpose flour
2 cups burgundy or other dry red wine
2 cups beef stock
1 tbs fresh ground sea salt
1/2 tbs fresh ground pepper
1 tbs marjoram flakes rubbed
1/2 thyme leaves rubbed
2 bay leaves
2 cups fresh mushrooms sliced
2 cups sliced onion
3 tsp fresh chopped parsley

Brown half beef in oil in 5 quart Dutch Oven, set aside, brown other half of beef, and add first half back and coat with 2 tbs flour mixed with salt and pepper. Pour in wine and deglaze pan. Add beef stock, marjoram, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to boil, then cover and place in 325 degree oven for 1-1 1/2 hours, until beef is tender. Remove to stove and simmer while adding onions and mushrooms. Make a roux with 2 tbs butter and remaining flour. Cook till onions wilted then add roux, stirring till thickened. Remove bay leaves. Stir in remaining butter till sauce is glossy. Serve over buttered egg noodles and top with chopped parsley. Serves 4-6

Looks great.

I agree, despite the stellar results, Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon is one time consuming SOB of a recipe to make.

I have always made the Test Kitchen recipe which always turns out fantastic.

I surely give this one a shot when the weather gets cooler again.