Beginner Sampler

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason, I would think a lot depends on whether you like a mild or strong tobacco. I have had three of the ones on that list (Baccarat, Macanudo, and Romeo y Juleita) and they are all decent cigars, but mild IMHO. If you think you would like to try out cigar smoking with a mild or medium bodied cigar this looks like a nice selection to get your feet wet. I would also suggest you looking at Famous-Smokes who also have some nice samplers. In the same price range but all different cigars see:

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/search/stats.cfm/inum/24764

I have done most of my cigar business with these guys and have never had any issues or problems.

Another place I occasionaly buy cigars from is Corona Cigars. They have a very nice 16 cigar sampler (same price range) at:

http://www.coronacigar.com/pc_Corona_Cigar_Co_Sweet_16_Cigar_Sampler_pid475.html

Of the three I kind of like the Corona price and selection to start with. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the info Mike. I have a pretty cool cigar place here but they tend to staff it with hot young girls, not extremely knowledgeable tobacconists. :lol: The prices are also quite outrageous.

Mike hit the nail on the head! The combo that you can get from famous is in a whole other league compared to the first samlper. It also makes sense to try different bodied cigars which is what you would get from the Famous sampler. All great smokes in that one!

Lucky

A HUGE thanks to Lucky for a generous sampler pack he sent me. After I posted this question he PM'd me saying he'd send me some samples so I didn't waste my money. I said a couple would be enough to get me started. Well when I opened the box I was blown away. There was a large assortment, all documented as to strength and how much he enjoyed them. From what little I know from reading these are all top quality smokes.

I'm really looking forward to exploring them and I'll keep you posted. Thanks again Lucky! Very cool indeed.

Three cheers for Lucky!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: What a very cool gesture 8)

I just looked over those sites. Man! Considering the cigar world is said to have been in a downward trend the last couple of years from it's boom of the late 90's, there are sure a lot of new-to-me brands out there. I was really into it for quite a while, my interest started to fade 4 or 5 years ago. I loved the Padron 2000 series, La Flor Dominicana, Puros Indios, Onyx (not the reserve, the regular old Onyx maduro), Fuente Hemingway Classic, and the Macanudo Portofino. I don't even recognize half of the brands out there anymore :lol:

First one down. I decided to work backwards on Lucky's favorite list so my first was a Vincent Sinclair Vintage Select. My first impression was, "Wow, these are way better than the cheap obnoxious cigars that I had before!" This being his least favorite on his most enjoyed list I think I'm in for some good stuff.

I was surprised at what a tight draw this cigar had but it did burn slow and even. The flavor was of light cedar and spice that really started to come through after the first third. This is when I really started enjoying the smoke. It sweetened up just slightly and started to get fuller and richer.

I can't say that I'll become as passionate about cigars as I am pipes but it will make a welcome addition to the hobby.

As a side note, our local cigar shop just got approval to have an indoor cigar club room. They should be starting the addition soon and the cost for membership is only $20 a year. This is pretty big news for the antismoking state of WA. I will definitely join just to support them and if they decide to allow pipes as well it may become my home away from home being it's only a couple blocks from my work.

Jason,

I'm glad you like the sampler. A good idea for those cigars would be to let them rest for just a couple of days (maybe 3-4) before you light them up. After a long cold ride they may tend to be on the tight side. The rest will do them good and you may enjoy them better.

I'm glad to hear you liked the Sinclair. A chocolate and coffee noted smoke in my opinion. A great "Go to" and it's easy on the wallet. I can't wait to see what you think of the Gurkhas and others.

Please, enjoy in good comapny and good health , my friend! :)

Lucky

Puff,

The boom has come again! Most cigar companies are and have been surpassing their record sales of the 90's! :cheers:

Yes, a lot of new brands out there. Some good, some bad! But the ones you mentioned are staples in my humidor with the exception of the Onyx. I prefer the Onyx Reserve ovcer the regular line.

Tornano, Gurkha and Rocky Patel have really made a name for themselves in this new BOOM! They all make a great product that I can trust to be consistant evry time I light up!

Right now I think I'm gonna smoke a Regent!

Later,
Lucky

Jason,

Welcome to the "other" addicti....er...hobby.
Victor Sinclair makes a quality product. They never really got over the hump of the cigar boom/lull/boom and as a result they make a great product that is very affordable. The Vintage you torched is a premium in that line and a great smoke IMHO. I have a couple of boxes nestling nicely with a couple years on them for a rainy day.

As a p.s. if you find a certain lite is known to draw a bit tight...."dry box" it as we say in cigarland. Let is stay in a UN humidified and CLOSED container that is NOT airtight ( I am sure you are already very familiar with this and if so please ignore) and let stay for a couple of days ( it is worth mentioning that it is to be assumed the box is not near a climate extreme...AC, forced air etc...).The stick will still be a bit "tight" but the smoke and draw much easier as the RH will have dropped nicely.

Enjoy, and keep us posted. Without speaking too much for my 'lil brother, we live for this!!

Thanks for the tips Davey and Lucky, I can use all the advice.

On the flavor of that last stick, when it sweetened up I could see the chocolate flavor you speak of but being I'm still acclimating to the cigar flavor that's what stuck out the most.

This is definitely some fun stuff to explore and I got to say generally quite a bit easier to just enjoy right off the bat then pipe smoking was.

One question, I've read that you shouldn't smoke more than half a cigar. I smoked it basically until it wasn't comfortable to hold without paying attention. What's the correct etiquette in a public setting?

A good rule of thumb is to smoke it until the cigar "turns". This happens when the tars and bi-products build up so much that it starts to make the smoke taste bad. Depending on how fast or slow you smoke is also a factor in the equation. The fatser you smoke , the hotter the smoke is and the faster the cigar will "turn". I'm a very slow smoker and find that most of my smokes don't turn before I'm ready to be finished with them. Of course a lesser aged cigar will give off more tars and such because of it's lack of age.

As far a etiquette, I don't nub my cigars in public. I smoke it until it's about 2 inches left. I don't like the half way rule simply because I think it's a waste of a cigar. Now, I'm done whenever I feel like be done.

There are some books out there on etiquette and the like and I found them to be interesting but I don't think there are any "Rules" as the guys on the cigars forums would agree. Some people like chewing their cigars and keeping the head wet with spit, which would contradict the etiquette. I don't do that but I also think ,hey , if he enjoys his smoke that way...why not?

Lucky