Bespoke blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
Anybody know of anyone still doing bespoke, custom blends?

I'm not talking about P&Cs "my own blend" program...I think it's a fine, fine idea, but with the minimum increments for each type of leaf at an ounce, you'd have make a pretty hefty minimum order if you're looking at perique or some other condimental in the 5% range (at an 8 ounce buy, a single ounce of perique leaves you at 12.5%) - that's a good chunk to lay down for experiment.

I'm also not talking about buying components in bulk and blending your own from scratch - not that I won't do it, and that's a road I'm ready to go down if that's the only real option available.

I'm talking about the old Alfred D way of blending and mixing to customers' tastes. Is that still a thing?

I'm not aware of any etailer that does this sort of blending as Dunhill did though there may be a B&M in your state that would. Not even Dunhill does it anymore, in fact they DON'T do ANY tobacco stuff these days. You have to go to one of their "White Spot" shops in London, Paris or New York from what a friend who has bought this way from them for the past 40 years has told me. Good luck !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":767j36wb said:
h there may be a B&M in your state that would.
Yeah, I tried that...no one in my neck of the woods does it (happy to sell blending tobaccos, of course, though).

Ian,

I know this doesn't address your question, but have you thought about contacting Glynn Quelch at GQ Tobacco? He blends a couple blends that are really heavy in perique. Nottingham Lace Rouge is over 15% and his BurPer Kake is about 25%. I think JimInks has smoked them..

I was going to recommend Pipeworks & Wilke as well but I am not sure whether Carole will create a blend from
the ground up OR just tweak one of her current blends to your specs.
Either way, she is accessible and will respond promptly to inquiries.
Her current minimum order is 8 oz. of tobacco, in total, but not sure what, if any, minimum she would impose on a "bespoke" order.
Worth contacting her for sure!

Richard Burley":qkkfw6y5 said:
I think Kramer's in Beverly Hills will at least "tweak" their blends for you, and file your preferences in their Rolodex.  So they say.  They don't get mentioned much on this site (BoB).  I really like their two "English" blends.  Haven't tried the others.

http://www.kramerstobaccoshop.com/frontpageframeset.html
Impressive list of celebrity clients, many of course long gone, thanks for the link. I think I'm going to order a blend or two; I think Father Dempsey is going to be one of them.

Hmmmm....lot's of good stuff here.

I've done some (small) business with Wilke in the past and had nothing but good experiences. I'll have to dig through some notes to see if any of their blends are close to what I'm looking to tweak. Good food for thought.

I didn't realize Kramer's was still around. I've heard of them, but I thought it was in that "old school tobacconists of long ago" sort of way. I might have to look them up - even if it's just to order from their existing lineup.

I think Carole Burns at Pipeworks still offers a sampler package which might be a place to start for you. I'd describe her descriptions of her own blends as straightforward and denotative rather than all lyrical and connotative, plus the blends are generally highly rated on TR. They're not inexpensive, but high-quality bespoke items generally aren't as you know.

"For over four generations, the Peretti blenders have created world-renowned tobaccos. Before Dunhill, Rattray or Fribourg and Treyer, we were experimenting in refining the measured techniques of blending tobacco. Many variations, often over a period of years, have resulted in the Peretti blends that we present to you. Throughout the years, famous politicians, celebrities, and other discerning individuals have had blends created for themselves at Peretti’s. We are prepared to create a custom blend for you."

(No affiliation, etc.)