Best Cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaL002

Reaction score
I'm looking to by a couple cobs to put in my rotation. Any specific brand I should look for. I have a MM coming and I've heard a lot. Just wondering if buying in bulk would matter.

Bubba,

I really like the Missouri Meerschaum cobs and you can get them for a number of places, but also order directly from the factory at: http://www.corncobpipe.com/

My favorite is the Country Gentlemen in straight. Also, if you order from them, get at least one or two extra bits per pipe, as their cheap plastic and will break. You can also get the paper filters through MM and many here will say don't use them, but I prefer to have them in, it does filter the smoke a bit but really keeps down the moisture. Just pull them out between smokes and let them dry in the sun, which in Iraq should take about 45 seconds or so!

Also, if you're buying several for friends, contact them and see if them might give you a discount for military?

Natch

Good idea. I've already got the other dog handler here interested. All I gotta do is reel him in! I just ordered 3 MM Gentlemans. Thanks for the Input.

Cobs serve a very useful purpose IMHO.

When my sons come over, they have a cob to smoke. They are also good, for me, to test some tobaccos.

At the present time, I'm collecting the "Country Gentleman" cob, mainly because it has the larger bowl size.

Also, when you get my age, and you are a clencher, outside work, etc... the cob is lighter and easier on the teeth.

There ain't no good reason. IMHO, to criticize cob collectors...

IMHO, the MM Diplomat & Country Gents are the best made cobs from anywhere! The Country Gents have the largest tobacco chanmbers of any cobs available. After those two, the MM Great Dane would be my next choice.

NOTE: There are a number of other half-assed manufactures of Cob Pipes. None of them, and I mean none, zero, come close to the quality of MM Cob Pipes!

hi all johnny the largest mm cob is the General it has a 2 1/2 inch bowl and the mm freehand cob has a 3inch bowl and has a vulcanite stem on it check out this site http://www.frenchyspipes.com frenchy has the best prices on his mm cobs

I like the Generals as well if you can find them. They don't offer them anymore on the MM site but as Robert pointed out you can still get them from Frenchy.

hi there mark yeah i have 2 of the Generals and 3 of the freehand cob both are really nice cob but i like the free hand cob a little better i like the vulcanite stem on the freehand and the thicker wall on it the freehand cost a little more but it will last a lot longer

I have a couple of Generals left that I have been smoking for a long time and they have a lot of life left in them yet. I don't know why MM discontinued them.

Have never dealt with Frenchy, but he's a vet, wouldn't hurt to mention where you are at. He does some 'support the troops' work, and here he is easy to work with.

Bd

Never Forget!

robertw1249":q61zkn3d said:
hi all johnny the largest mm cob is the General it has a 2 1/2 inch bowl and the mm freehand cob has a 3inch bowl and has a vulcanite stem on it check out this site http://www.frenchyspipes.com frenchy has the best prices on his mm cobs
You are correct about that, with respect to the size of the bowl itself, however, with respect to the diameter of the tobacco chamber, the Country Gent is the largest.

hi johnny here a some pics of the Country Gentleman and the General the general has bigger tobacco chamber than the country gentleman

Bubba, be sure to mention you're in Iraq, Frenchy will take care of you. Cornell and Diehl will do the same, they have a program for the troops.

Smokey

Justpipes":otua955e said:
I like the Generals as well if you can find them. They don't offer them anymore on the MM site but as Robert pointed out you can still get them from Frenchy.
I didn't have any problem finding it on the MM Company web site http://corncobpipe.com/. It is also shown on their PDF order form.

It's listed under American, you have the General and Patriot. I smoke them both and I agree the General is a very nice pipe.

As far as which brand, I don't think there is any other manufacturer of corncob pipes left in America. I saw some German ones, I think, awhile ago but can't remember where.