Big container of Carter Hall

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Since I purchased the big, 14 oz., container of Carter Hall tobacco, I was wondering if I should put it into glass jars or just leave it in the plastic container? I smoke it on a daily basis, so I'm not storing it for long term, although, maybe I should. I am wondering if the plastic container would have any effect on the tobacco if kept in there for any long period of time. Maybe I should just put it all in jars and not worry about it. What do you think?

Your obsessing to much about all this. Remember, this tobacco was probably put in that container at least a month ago, shipped to a wholesaler where it probably sat for another mo or so ! if you smoke it daiy as you say, KISS it and smoke out of the container it came in. It will not change much as fast as you will smoke it! JMHO :twisted: :twisted:

Agreed. The seal on those isn't perfect, but it's adequate. I have several I'm currently using, with no concern for the contents, especially when using every day. Have you discovered the little air-release holes yet? Kind of handy when you seat the lid.

Richard Burley":toi9n43v said:
Have you discovered the little air-release holes yet? Kind of handy when you seat the lid.
Uh... no! Great! Now I'll have to get my magnifier out and spend the next 2 hours searching the lid for little holes! :roll: :lol:

Funny you should ask. I discovered a tub of CH that I bought in 2014 and promptly forgot. I found and opened it the other day. IT’s not at all dry and smokes very nicely.

I not only smoke Carter hall directly from those tubs, I reuse the tubs for other tobacco and they seem to hold up just fine. I have one full of Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut right now that I've been opening a couple of times a day for months with no change in the tobacco. If it's a daily smoke, I believe that you are likely doing more "damage" opening a mason jar once a day than you would just leaving the tobacco in a CH tub.

I've got a plastic jug of Edward G. Robinson's sitting in the fireplace in my study; it'll be there till it's gone. Got a paper one of SWR there too; don't reckon it'll hurt either one.