Big Move

• Thread starter Deleted member 2386
  • Start date
Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 2386

Have a pretty major transition coming up that will no doubt keep me off the grid for a sizeable stretch--I'm moving to North Carolina at the end of the month. Have a ton to do between now and then, and will be roadtripping to boot, but can't wait to be back down south and be closer to family and friends. Headed for the Triangle and if memory serves we've got a few members around those parts, so hopefully once I'm settled in we can meet in person!

Welcome to the Tarheel state -- there are worse places to live! ;)

Welcome to NC! I hang out in Apex Cigar Lounge. They have a killer selection of boutique cigars. I've been working with the owner about bring in pipe tobacco as there are quite a few that I have decided to start after seeing me smoke. The shop also carries Ken Silver's pipes on consignment. He lives in Garner and a super nice guy.

Triangle Area Pipe Smokers (TAPS), meets up in north Raleigh off Lead Mine Rd. I think next month they are trying to meet at the Elks Lodge. President stopped in the shop last week and is a fun guy. They do a pipe show in Spring at the fair grounds. Not super large but a good time.

If you have any questions or need recommendation about the area, don't be afraid to reach out!

You'll love NC. Of all the places I've ever lived, that was my favorite by far.

I hang out in the "Triangle" 'bout half the time. Will be back there next Friday. Us "locals" do need to work on a get together!! :cheers: FTRPLT

I have moved too many times in my life. I wish you a speedy and problem free (well, as much as possible ;) ) relocation to NC.

BTW, why is it nicknamed the "Tarheel state"?

During colonial times, North Carolina was a key supplier of naval stores. The tar, pitch, and turpentine produced by our longleaf pine trees, bountiful in the eastern part of the state, were used to coat wooden ships to prevent leaking and damage from shipworms.

The relentless black substance would produce a displeasing smell, so some would use the term “Tar Boilers” to describe the people who harvested it.

And, of course, it was messy to work with, too, inevitably winding up on the feet of workers, says Bill Ferris, a professor of American studies at UNC.

Like tar to heels, the nickname stuck. It would take a while for “Tar Heels” to be used to describe the state and its people as a whole. As for what is likely the first documented use of the phrase “Tar Heels,” we can look to the Civil War. One of the most popular explanations for the name gaining traction is recorded in Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions from North Carolina in the Great War 1861-1865.

Full Text -> https://www.ourstate.com/why-is-north-carolina-called-the-tar-heel-state/

Thank you all so much for the well wishes and warm welcomes (and the history lesson, Geoff!). Will def check out the TAPS meet-up in December—one of the things I’m really going to miss out here is the Seattle Pipe Club. More on the other side of moving madness...

Congratulations may your move be painless and give you what you seak.

Jim

That is a long drive between locals. Safe travels and great adventures! :cheers:

GeoffC":vxb3asjn said:
During colonial times, North Carolina was a key supplier of naval stores. The tar, pitch, and turpentine produced by our longleaf pine trees, bountiful in the eastern part of the state, were used to coat wooden ships to prevent leaking and damage from shipworms.

The relentless black substance would produce a displeasing smell, so some would use the term “Tar Boilers” to describe the people who harvested it.

And, of course, it was messy to work with, too, inevitably winding up on the feet of workers, says Bill Ferris, a professor of American studies at UNC.

Like tar to heels, the nickname stuck. It would take a while for “Tar Heels” to be used to describe the state and its people as a whole. As for what is likely the first documented use of the phrase “Tar Heels,” we can look to the Civil War. One of the most popular explanations for the name gaining traction is recorded in Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions from North Carolina in the Great War 1861-1865.

Full Text -> https://www.ourstate.com/why-is-north-carolina-called-the-tar-heel-state/
Thanks, Geoff!

Best of luck with the move Gramps and thanks for the history lesson Geoff. Always wondered where that term came from but was too lazy to google it.

Cheers all

Tim

Good luck with the move and I hope it all goes smoothly.

All these N.C. postings make me want to go back to the Ashville area. I used to hang out in Hendersonville where my in-laws lived and watched trains climb the hill at Saluda. I miss that.

Just came back from the Triangle where we escaped to avoid the storm..hangin out on the mountain, watching for bears...great folks who live there...and food can't be beat. Them Kentucky women sure know how to cook.

Thanks again to everyone for the well wishes, advice, and intel! Have successfully transplanted to the Triangle, and will be hitting up my first meeting of TAPS next weekend if anyone else is available and interested. Details!