Binge-worthy TV shows?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently discovered a series called All Creatures Great and Small about veterinarians in early England. Not available on Netflix or Prime so we've been taping it off PBS. Great show and magnificent scenery. Kinda makes me want to move to England but I'm pretty sure England isn't the same today as in the 40s, lol.
All creatures great and small was filmed in Yorkshire, in particular around the Yorkshire Dale's and Grassington. It looks the same today as it did in the 1940s, and the Centuries before that. England itself hasn't really changed geographically. Just the people 😆

Recently discovered a series called All Creatures Great and Small about veterinarians in early England. Not available on Netflix or Prime so we've been taping it off PBS. Great show and magnificent scenery. Kinda makes me want to move to England but I'm pretty sure England isn't the same today as in the 40s, lol.
The present season (season 3?) is probably the best so far. A family-friendly, wholesome, good series. I think it must be related to The Durrells in Cofru somehow. An actor or two is shared (Tristen), and the opening animation is in a similar style. Maybe the same showrunner? I'm too lazy to look it up.

I've been watching "My Cat from Hell" on Discovery+. There's two stories of out of control cats per episode and of course the household lives happily together at the end.

Some of these, I'm sure, have been mentioned....
"Yellowstone", "1923","1883"...all are connected.

"1883" is pretty amazing storytelling.

If you enjoyed the above watch "Hell or High Water" by the same author.

"Outlander".....wow, just wow...Im not much of a fan of science fiction, but this pulls you in...With the exception of the premise of the show, if pretty damn historically accurate.

"Breaking Bad"

"Billions" with original cast , Paul Giamati & Damian Lewis...

Last edited:
Recently my wife turned me on to…

BRIDGERTON!

It took me one episode of the 3 seasons and I was very suprisingly hooked. Absolutely NOT my typical kind of thing but astonishing in numerous aspects and details. Gorgeous costuming and sets in Regency England. Romance with deep drama and humor. A totally unique and stunning musical score using modern songs arranged to sound like a vintage ballroom orchestra. Sex? Yes. Much of the understory revolves around a social experiment by which access to upper social levels are open to all races…which is reflected in the casting. Black, white & Indian. Kudos. All in all…brilliant!

Just watched "The North Water" again really good murder mystery period peice with a lot of pipe smoking scenes :LOL: always makes for a good movie. Colin Farell plays a great part he is almost unrecognizable.

Set in Hull, England, and on the ice floes of the Arctic in the late 1850s, the series tells the story of Patrick Sumner (O'Connell), a disgraced ex-army surgeon who signs up as the ship's doctor on a whaling expedition to the Arctic. But the ferocity of the elements is matched by the violence of his crew mates, particularly Henry Drax (Farrell), a harpooner and distinctly brutal force of nature. As the true purpose of the expedition becomes clear, confrontation between the two men erupts, taking them on a journey far from solid ground and way beyond the safe moorings of civilization. The North Water's location work took place primarily in the Arctic, shooting on the frozen seas north of the Svalbard Archipelago.

PBS has been reaching into lesser tier streaming stations(?) and airing things from Acorn and Walter's Choice. I think that is the name. Smart for them to work with PBS to get international programming seen here. Our local station has been airing season 3 of Badehotellet, aka Seaside Hotel, a Danish version of something along the lines of Downton Abbey. People well-to-do enough to spend the summer at a seaside hotel, with the staff holding up the other side of the show. It's subtitled. It's not as well written as Downton Abbey, and it has a simpler vibe to it. I've been really enjoying it. I believe there are eight seasons. As I was looking it up, I think it is steaming on Amazon Prime and maybe AppleTV. And one of the characters runs a tobacco company or works for a tobacco company. It's of no significance to the storylines, but it's there.
OK, I've watched this entire series, sans season 1 because the streaming service Walter's Choice appears to have so little traffic that since I posted this, no one has complained or made them aware that they have season 7 in the season 1 menu, so season 1 isn't available. There are 9 seasons so far, and season 10 is in 2024 or something, which will also be its final season.

I'd reiterate that the writing isn't there, but I also do not speak Danish. I would bet the writing is much better than you can trust from the subtitles. DUH. While the story and subplots are interesting, they do sometimes take great liberties in-between seasons and jump through some key relationship pivots rather than finish the situations they start, which is really my only real complaint about the show. It's not with every relationship or situation. Actually, it's not that often at all, but I did notice it was happening. Someone taking note of something significant like that is a failure in itself. The characters and relationships are so well acted, fun, interesting, and endearing that I have concluded this is not about the story or historical accuracy. That might sound like a big downside, but it really isn't. Like the great The Durrells in Corfu, you feel like you're transported into the hotel and setting (some of the camera work is as stunning as you'll ever see), and you feel like you are part of the group of friends. Character. Character. Characters. I cannot recommend this one enough. Truly. It's too bad it is ending, but 10 seasons is a great run.

The present season (season 3?) is probably the best so far. A family-friendly, wholesome, good series. I think it must be related to The Durrells in Cofru somehow. An actor or two is shared (Tristen), and the opening animation is in a similar style. Maybe the same showrunner? I'm too lazy to look it up.
I watched the series 1st edition in the 70s, with Christopher Timothy and the late and great Robert Hardy as Siegfried Farnon. Priceless stuff altogether. Don't know if it's televised anymore,but I was able to buy DVDs of it through PBS. I loved every minute of it. It related well to my country/rural law practice.

All creatures great and small was filmed in Yorkshire, in particular around the Yorkshire Dale's and Grassington. It looks the same today as it did in the 1940s, and the Centuries before that. England itself hasn't really changed geographically. Just the people 😆

Watching "Knightfall" on Netflix an enjoyable series.

Knightfall is a historical fiction drama television series created by Don Handfield and Richard Rayner for the History channel. Filmed in the Czech Republic and Croatia, it premiered on December 6, 2017, in the United States. On August 13, 2018, History renewed the series for a second season, which premiered on March 25, 2019. In May 2020, it was announced that the series had been cancelled.

Knightfall recounts the success, fall, persecution, and suppression of the Knights Templar, as orchestrated by King Philip IV of France on October 13, 1307. The series focuses on the fictional Templar leader Landry du Lauzon, a brave warrior discouraged by the Templars' failures in the Holy Land who is reinvigorated by news that the Holy Grail has resurfaced.

Joy of joys! A new run of BOSCH: LEGACY is due to start this week.

Like the second season of the crime series, Bosch: Legacy season 3 will be available to stream on Prime Video and Freevee. The first season of Bosch: Legacy was available on Prime Video along with all seven seasons of the original Bosch series. However, Bosch: Legacy season 2 will be the first time the series will also be available on Amazon's free ad-supported streaming option Freevee.

IMG_7574.jpeg