Binge-worthy TV shows?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHT

Reaction score
I ask because my wife and I like to binge tv shows at night when we are out camping (have a 5th wheel).

We've watched a good # of shows lately.

List of shows we've watched/finished:
We have recently watched:
Game of Thrones
Lost
Downton Abbey
Sons of Anarchy
Blacklist
Elementary
Sherlock
Fortitude (season 1)
Jack Ryan
Poldark
Messiah
Jack Ryan
The Crown
Outlander
Broadchurch
The Widow (Amazon - Kate Beckinsale ;))

we started Bosch a week or so ago, only did 1st episode, haven't had time to continue.

Any others (not called Breaking Bad, can't stand Cranston).

Different viewing here.... I watch while eating dinner. I went through two years of 'What's My Line' from the mid-50s, and nearly all the 'Time Team' episodes. Then I started in on the dvds, watching the first 4 seasons on 'The West Wing.' Currently watching 'The Big Bang Theory' (6 2/3s seasons down). After that, maybe 'Dr. Who' -- I have about 40% of the classic series and all the current ones except the last one. That should take a while!

Thx for the suggestions. I didn't list all the shows we've watched. Big Bang was hilarious, haven't watched the final season yet.

Heard Bosch was good.

Always been interested in West Wing.

Was never much of a tv watcher, so now that we do, we are looking for series' that have concluded. Don't have to be recent either. Thats how we found "Lost".

We watched episode 1 of Bosch.
Will probably continue with that when we go camping again in a few weeks.

Lately I've been beguiled by -

Northern Exposure
Twin Peaks
The Sopranos
Downton Abbey

Maybe some of the above doesn't count as at least one of those - The Sopranos - was on HBO. So don't know if you're meaning just shows on network TV.

There's a bunch of network TV comedies I liked but mostly they're just fluff.

Cheers,

RR

Any shows, but looking at a series type, not situational stuff... want a "story" to follow.

I'll post a list of what we've watched.
Should do this on a computer...

SteveMKentucky":zze779i1 said:
+ 1  most watchable cop stuff out there

Also:

Those marked with * have long story lines to follow. Those not marked are more stand alone type. In many there is a mix of weekly story plus linear thread to follow, no just familiar characters in a new adventure.

NCIS (a zillion in this series, all good)
*The Expanse (tv Sci Fi at its best)
Firefly (classic space opera series...the best)
*i Zombie (if you like brains...very funny)
*The Good Place
*Doc Martin

A bazillion great Brit style detective shows...my wife’s favorite genre:

Death in Paradise
Miss Marple (various series)
Poirot
*Bletchley Circle (Women codebreakers)
Midsommer Murders & various similar like...
Inspector Morse
Inspector Lewis, etc.
Endeavor
Father Brown (priest solving crimes in English village)
Vera
*Hinterland (Cinematography is crazy good)
Foyle’s War
Cadfael (Medieval monks)
Wallander (Scandi)
*The Doctor Blake Mysteries (Aussie)

And on, and on, and on...

Black horse, those are some excellent shows. Some of my favorite shows to binge-watch are Grimm, House, The Doctors (soap opera from the ’60s-’80s), Supernatural and Gunsmoke.

Blackhorse":tvock8am said:
SteveMKentucky":tvock8am said:
+ 1  most watchable cop stuff out there

Also:

Those marked with * have long story lines to follow.  Those not marked are more stand alone type. In many there is a mix of weekly story plus linear thread to follow, no just familiar characters in a new adventure.

NCIS (a zillion in this series, all good)
*The Expanse (tv Sci Fi at its best)
Firefly (classic space opera series...the best)
*i Zombie (if you like brains...very funny)
*The Good Place
*Doc Martin

A bazillion great Brit style detective shows...my wife’s favorite genre:

Death in Paradise
Miss Marple (various series)
Poirot
*Bletchley Circle (Women codebreakers)
Midsommer Murders & various similar like...
Inspector Morse
Inspector Lewis, etc.
Endeavor
Father Brown (priest solving crimes in English village)
Vera
*Hinterland (Cinematography is crazy good)
Foyle’s War
Cadfael (Medieval monks)
Wallander (Scandi)
*The Doctor Blake Mysteries (Aussie)

And on, and on, and on...
Hah...I think I watched all of those. Many of my favorites mentioned above.

Mad Men
Deadwood
Black Sails
The Knick
The Handmaid's Tale
Counterpart

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. There's been a lot of great TV in the past 20 years.

i edited original post with more info on the shows we've watched. there's probably a few i've forgotten that were quick 1-2 seasons long.

have been wanting to watch Counterpart, and all of Deadwood (since i've seen the first few episodes a long time ago), I have tried to watch Black Sails but couldn't get into it, even with my penchant for reading about nautical things (mostly historical fiction during the Revolutionary times), i watched a couple other british murder mystery shows but can't recall their names right now.

thanks for the recommendations.

One of the little add-on things we enjoy is that on the BBC murder mystery things the second tier character actors have been swapped around among most of the other shows over the years (I mean Midsommer Murders must be in its 20th season, anyway). And we’re always doing a, “Hey, we’ve seen HER before” then look up the actor’s name and bio only to discover they’ve been on an episode of Midsommer, Doc Martin, Endeavor, Rosemary & Thyme, Sherlock, etc., etc., etc.

Hey! There’s another one...

Rosemary and Thyme (Gardiner Sleuths...no, really!)

Blackhorse":ajf8lggh said:
One of the little add-on things we enjoy is that on the BBC murder mystery things the second tier character actors have been swapped around among most of the other shows over the years (I mean Midsommer Murders must be in its 20th season, anyway).  And we’re always doing a, “Hey, we’ve seen HER before” then look up the actor’s name and bio only to discover they’ve been on an episode of Midsommer, Doc Martin, Endeavor, Rosemary & Thyme, Sherlock, etc., etc., etc.  

Hey!  There’s another one...

Rosemary and Thyme (Gardiner Sleuths...no, really!)
oh, yes, i do that all the time! i normally pull up IMDB and look at the actors profile, then see other shows i've seen them in. ALL. THE. TIME. my wife hates it (but i don't care).

LOL.  Great minds think alike.

We get clues for other shows to watch by doing that.  Plus...Netflix and Amazon Prime are good with referring watchers to additional possible shows related to what we like.

We’ve gotten so we can tell Brit shows & Canadian production just from the look.  

PS:  If you have the time, do check out Hinterland.  It’s generally a good production, etc. but whomever did the art direction and filming is a MASTER.  The visuals are incredible...like an Andrew Wyeth painting.  And the framing and interiors are just amazing as well.  They certainly use the rule of thirds. And finally, how those aspects fit into and around the story and characters if done with a deft hand.  Worth the watch.