Bionic Eyes for Blackhorse

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Being “old” sucks. Well, mostly. But this morning I go in to consult with an eye surgeon about getting cataract surgery in both eyes...lenses replaced. Fun. I apparently have one of the three types of cataracts...the one that comes on and gets worse fast. This has developed over the last three months.

So...anyone out there had this done?

Do I get “bionic eyes”:with x-ray and laser vision? Is there a HUD with read outs and target selection? This might be cool!

Yup. Been there and done that. The surgery isn't all that bad, as you're out the entire time, or at least I was. Mom and Pap both had it as well. You'll be fine and glad you did it.

Cheers,

RR

I've had PRK done to correct vision, not sure if it relates to your surgery at all but it was basically painless (except for the recovery time). In PRK they grind off your corneas and reshape the lens with lasers. Unfortunately I got no x-ray, zoom function, or HUD but I could see very well.

Katie has small ones on the lower outside corners of her eyes. They were caused by heavy steroid use after her failed transplants. They aren't big enough to worry about until she goes back on steroids. Then they'll have to be removed fairly quickly

You'll do fine with the surgery and you'll be so glad to be able see like a kid again. Best of luck and keep us posted on how you do.

Best wishes
Jim

I spent so much on glasses over the years.
Stronger and stronger lenses, progressive bifocals, astigmatism...
I was really happy when I was told I had cataracts. :lol:
Had it done three and a half years ago. It is so great not wearing glasses.
I use cheap readers for fine print.

Asked my father, who had this surgery not long ago, and he had no issues.

What's amazing in our time is that they can put a new lens in as they take out the cataract. If you wear glasses now, you won't after it's done.

Good to see you had done what was necessary to keep making those great knives...something to treasure when we are lucky enough to get one. Love my plug knives.

Cerfer":ij2ic32r said:
What's amazing in our time is that they can put a new lens in as they take out the cataract. If you wear glasses now, you won't after it's done.

What’s amazing to ME is they can correct to 20-20 and for astigmatism and the whole procedure takes 10 minutes. But I’ll need to wear reading glasses and since the eye continues to age, eventually I will likely need to wear glasses again. But as I have the fast onset type of cataracts I swear I can sense the loss of vision day by day.

Right eye done. Now “recovering” at home. I go in for the “day after” check up tomorrow. Then again in two weeks. That one also is the pre-op appt for the second eye. Then I have the second one done and a couple of follow ups later I’m done.

Surgery was easy (for me). Anesthesia was light,..awake the whole time. Up fast and out the door quickly.

Slam bam thank ye ma’am.

Wearing a patch & eye shield.

My mom had it done 15 years ago, she's 91 now, no glasses needed, reading or other. I'm 57 with bifocals.....

I second the pirate look...

Seriously glad your surgery went well praying for a speedy recovery.