Birthday Present

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
My dear wife knows the kind of gear I like and got me a new watch for my birthday. It’s an Orient...a highly respected division of Seiko. The model is the Mako XL with the fully luminous dial. Yes...the entire face of the watch glows in the dark. I think there are four other color variations available. Neato! When I wake up at 3 a.m. I’ll be able to see what time it is. Plus it’s a tough as nails automatic for EDC. Good pick!

I took a few pics. The first is well lighted inside my back kitchen slider...then I moved into the dim living room where no lights were on...and finally in a darkened bedroom. (If I don’t get the order right you’ll be able to tell.)

5711C56D-0708-4F26-BBAD-9F08382ECE20.jpeg

93D3EF81-3A44-4714-82E9-119100824440.jpeg

CD559B0A-BF57-475D-8A8C-1FFFF910196B.jpeg

BH, dang nice watch!! Question...What does "SAB" stand for next to the date? I'm presuming you took these shots on Sat 28 Nov!
And, yes, Happy Birthday!! FTRPLT

Thanks everybody. Um...”SAB”?
Sab, Spanish, short for Sabado (Saturday). The watch days are most likely in English and Spanish (my Seiko 5 is in English and Arabic) so you just need to make your choice of preferred language when setting the day.

Cracking looking timepiece Mr BH... Mrs BH has impeccable taste.

Happy birthday to you, Sir 👍

Pip pip

Happy Birthday!

Si, SAB is Saturday in Spanish
Watch is a day/date
I've been wearing a Seiko military self wind for years. I have the same watch in tan, black, and OD.
s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Happy Birthday!

Si, SAB is Saturday in Spanish
Watch is a day/date
I've been wearing a Seiko military self wind for years. I have the same watch in tan, black, and OD.
s-l500.jpg
Nice looking military Seiko 5 there, Steve. :)

Sab, Spanish, short for Sabado (Saturday). The watch days are most likely in English and Spanish (my Seiko 5 is in English and Arabic) so you just need to make your choice of preferred language when setting the day.

Cracking looking timepiece Mr BH... Mrs BH has impeccable taste.

Happy birthday to you, Sir 👍

Pip pip
Si.

Well, I thought so!! SAB=SAT!! Just wondering why it was on an Oregon, USA watch!!?? "Inquiring minds want to know!!!" FTRPLT

Well, I thought so!! SAB=SAT!! Just wondering why it was on an Oregon, USA watch!!?? "Inquiring minds want to know!!!" FTRPLT
Yeah...generally a half turn goes to the 1st language...the next half turn takes it to the English equivalent. Except this watch has a “day advance” button you push to advance the day.

Yeah...generally a half turn goes to the 1st language...the next half turn takes it to the English equivalent. Except this watch has a “day advance” button you push to advance the day.
However it works, that's one nice time piece!!!!! FTRPLT

When I bought my Seiko military self wind watches, they were usually available on Ebay for $45 to $55. I just took a quick look and they're about $100. I haven't bought one for about 10 years.

Good luck with that $100 Seiko automatic diver. BTW: the relationship between Seiko, Orient and Epson is interesting. I know that Epson is the overarching owner and is in direct charge of Orient...where all the Orient movements are designed and made in house. Seiko, though owned by Epson, is completely apart. Whatever.

My very latest Seiko is an homage to the famous Cartier tank watch from the 30’s. The SUP880 is one of Seiko Solar watches. Pretty cool actually. Charge the battery in sunlight for 8 hours and it will run up to a year. So, as a dress watch, it can reside in a dresser drawer and be pulled into service at need...CB977DBA-9448-4910-9980-D71B24CA7FC5.jpeg...and be at the correct time.

Good luck with that $100 Seiko automatic diver. BTW: the relationship between Seiko, Orient and Epson is interesting. I know that Epson is the overarching owner and is in direct charge of Orient...where all the Orient movements are designed and made in house. Seiko, though owned by Epson, is completely apart. Whatever.

My very latest Seiko is an homage to the famous Cartier tank watch from the 30’s. The SUP880 is one of Seiko Solar watches. Pretty cool actually. Charge the battery in sunlight for 8 hours and it will run up to a year. So, as a dress watch, it can reside in a dresser drawer and be pulled into service at need...View attachment 280...and be at the correct time.
So, BH, still looking to join me in the poorhouse,,lol? Had WAD back in the 90s, and acquired about 40 watches. One fav is my Seiko orange monster diver. Face doesn't light but hands and numerals glow like sunlight. Down at 160 feet it's like having a flashlight in your face. Oh, btw, happy birthday.

I suppose it's to do with the efficiency of manufacturing. The days are printed on a little disc and there's only so much you can fit on these; ideally you'd want every language going as you could then ship the watch to any country in the world safe in the knowledge that you've the language covered. BH's could be shipped to any Spanish or English speaking country. Somewhere in Spain there'll be a board where someone's asking (in Spanish), 'what does SAT mean?'!!!