Bit Issue

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deor

Reaction score
I am new to pipe smoking and love it. I have a Stanwell in the mail but i have a question. I am smoking a corn cob at the moment and have noticed that i have left severe bite marks in the bit already. Can someone tell me the proper way to hold a pipe in your mouth to avoid as much bite mark possible? i Love pipes and am very carefull w/ my things and would hate to destroy pieces of art. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ben

If you're not holding it in your hand (i.e., if you're "clenching" it), you've only got to keep it from falling out of your mouth. That's all. It doesn't take much pressure with your teeth to accomplish that.

If I remember them from way back then well enough, the stems of corn cob pipes are very soft. Your Stanwell stem will be harder and tougher.

:face:

thanks for the advice. Also where would you 'bite' the stem? right at the little 'lip' or further down the stem? thanks in advance.

Ben

Wherever it ends up being comfortable when your attention's on something else -- which is, many times, the way you're going to end up smoking it anyhow. :D

:face:

My experience with cobs indicates that they have REALLY poor stems. There is basically no preventing tooth marks in them. Higher quality (and more expensive) pipes will generally have a higher quality stem material, and tooth marks will not be such an issue.

Tyler

I hold (clench) my pipes about a quarter/ half an inch down the bit. Not right on the end. Leverage will determine more of less where you clench, I guess. I generally clench on the RHS of my jib where there's a bit of width to the toothpile. I do have the odd toothmark on my pipe stems, nothing major though. Probably has something to do with the fact that I cannot bear sunlight, garlic or the Cross. It's best to avoid activities that would normally result in jaw clenching, while smoking a pipe. So watching reruns of Desperate Housewives or Ugly Betty is out, I'm afraid.

Rubber bits are also available to aleviate the toothmark prob. Iv'e never used them, but they are available fron AAA meershaum and other sources, click on accesories. I understand some suppliars also carry the cork ones, sure someone elsle will know where.

www.AAAMeerscaum.com

Usual disclaimers so on so forth :D

Bd

Never Forget!

I feel perfectly comfortable biting down on a cigar,
but it just don't feel right to bite the hard plastic.
At this point, I'm not a clencher.

I generally wrap my stems with duct tape. I find that I avoid tooth marks that way. Plus the adhesive really adds to the flavor!