Bjarne Houston, Savinelli Morino or Duca Carlo - or other?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster

Reaction score
Hi all,
Looking to get a nice pipe (a straight saddle-bit, either billiard or a bulldog) under $50 to dedicate to Maltese Falcon.

I've narrowed it down to a Bjarne Houston, Savinelli Morino and a Savinelli Duca Carlo. Which will give me the best bang for the buck?

Thanks!
-Buster

Kaywoodie Shellcraft on sale right now at Gray Fox Online and some of them at $38 can't be beat! Great American made briars for the money. Some of the other offerings are fabulous too for the money. Oh yeah, free shipping on all of their pipes.

I sure like Savs. I haven't had the pleasure of smoking a Bjarne. It's just a little over you fifty dollar mark, but I bought a Peterson Cara from Iwan Ries the other day for $63.00. It'd be hard to beat a Pete. (Sorry, didn't intend to make that rhyme).

Centurian 803":zt7ww8ag said:
I sure like Savs. I haven't had the pleasure of smoking a Bjarne. It's just a little over you fifty dollar mark, but I bought a Peterson Cara from Iwan Ries the other day for $63.00. It'd be hard to beat a Pete. (Sorry, didn't intend to make that rhyme).
I've owned my share of lower-priced Peterson's. Enjoyed them all. BUT my pre-first-smoke ritual is to spend twenty minutes with 400 sandpaper taking the dunk-stain out of the bowl - followed by a good alcohol swabbing of the bowl & shank. Can't take the taste of stain.

Buddy

I hadn't even looked at Ries' petersons. Both the kildare and sterling look pretty good. Would you say these would be a better choice than the others I've listed?