Black lining in a new pipe........

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8razor

Reaction score
What is this stuff ad if I decide to make a homemade pipe with this lining in it how can I acquire it or make it?

Ahhhh...One of the great mysteries of the pipe world! A few in the know are aware that it is composed of extremely fine ground-up pubic hair from the Priestesses of the Goddess Latakia. This secretive sect is located in a remote valley in Syria, and the supply line whereby one can obtain this valuable pipe bowl coating is a closely held secret among a select few!!!!

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

As best I understand, it's carbon, plus something to get the carbon to stick to the sides. Cigar ash and distilled water is a popular recipe for "pipe mud"--I've used it on rare occasions to even out chipped cake. Pipemakers here will have a better idea of what else.

But ultimately, there's no need to use it. Bare briar will build up carbon slowly and nicely.

(P.S. I'll move this thread to the DIY topic later today... I see you're newly-joined, and I don't want to confuse you, but the Moderators will sometimes move threads behind-the-scenes if they fit better in another area.)

str8razor......Sorry I pulled your chain on your first post!! But, I could not resist!! Welcome to the BoB !! I have heard the coating used by some pipemakers as being "food grade carbon", presumably applied as a paste with a very small amount of distilled water. I also agree with Doc Manhattan that a non-coated pipe will do perfectly fine; just go slow and let the cake form naturally and you will be fine.....

NeroWolfe":xgb1qhyt said:
Ahhhh...One of the great mysteries of the pipe world! A few in the know are aware that it is composed of extremely fine ground-up pubic hair from the Priestesses of the Goddess Latakia. This secretive sect is located in a remote valley in Syria, and the supply line whereby one can obtain this valuable pipe bowl coating is a closely held secret among a select few!!!!
I Love this! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Welcome to BoB. I actually prefer my pipes to have bare briar in the bowl. Cake seems to build better and stronger.

Yep, NO THANK YOU on the bowl coatings for me as well. Particularly don't like it in refurbished estate pipes.

Recipes for bowl coating range all over the place, but wind up being something black and hopefully flavorless (activated charcoal from the pharmacy perhaps) and something to make it stick (buttermilk, waterglass).

I don't coat my pipes because I think they work better if you build a proper little bit of cake and I think that works best if you start with bare wood.

Why is it there then? Well, sometimes when you stain a pipe a bit of stain will show through in the chamber, and it looks ugly. Other times the black inside the bowl just looks a little more "pro".

Thank you Gents. I appreciate the insight so far. I to prefer a bare bowl but was just curious.

The bowlcoat is a VERY closely guarded secret in the pipemaking world. On a few drunken nights with different carvers I was able to squeeze this out: it's essentially a finely ground carbon pellet (similar to the ones used in fish tank filters) mixed with a buttermilk.. I know this is the route that some pipecarvers go with, but not all, certainly. Many prefer not to use a bowlcoating.

Using a coating agent when breaking a pipe has saved me from damaging bowls. In the past I found that much care and slow puffing is needed for breaking in an uncoated bowl, or else the risk of some burning is just too high. I'm not very patient and want to smoke as I please from the beginning, therefore I always coat the bowl. Coating also accelerates substantially cake build-up. But I prefer to buy uncoated pipes and use my own recipe, which I tuned up from similar recipes used by some pipe makers.

NeroWolfe":ypp3852q said:

I have just learned that the Chicken Ranch in Nevada is now an alternate source for this special bowl coating (as described in my earlier post) !!

The buttermilk mixture sounds credible. I know that here in Alabama a lot of old timers soak their rattling antlers in buttermilk in the off season. They say it helps maintain the proper tone when rattling in a big buck.