Black Mallory Review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

A review of Rattray's Black Mallory I just posted on TR:

Predominantly black and purple-hued thick, broken cavendish mixed with delicate tan, brown, and olive ribbon, Black Mallory introduces itself with a pleasantly sweet and lightly smoky tin nose dominated by the scents of cavendish and pungent orientals. It is quite moist right out of the tin, and thus requires a bit of patience in preparation.

The current blender, Kohlhase & Kopp, describes Black Mallory as a mixture comprised of “spicy Latakia and two distinctive cuts of Virginia united with Black Cavendish and Orientals” (Würziger Latakia und zwei unterschiedlich geschnittene Virginiatabake vereinen sich mit Black Cavendish und Orient). For all intents and purposes, this in my mind makes Black Mallory a Scottish mixture (rather fitting, it would seem, given the mixture’s pedigree).

In both appearance and smoking characteristics, the main components of Black Mallory are unmistakably those of Red Rapparee. The difference, and it is substantial, lies in the heavy use of unsweetened black cavendish. Its presence dominates the blend, relegating the Virginias to the background and forcing the Orientals to a space somewhere in-between. Latakia, much more detectable in the tin rather than the bowl, is used sparingly here and while it does make its presence known now and again, is clearly a minor player. This, however, is to be expected given the genre to which Black Mallory belongs.

Composed of what are obviously tobaccos of some quality, Black Mallory is mild, with a soft, somewhat creamy mouthfeel. Its mellowness is matched only by its rather monodimensional flavor profile: tart and somewhat sour orientals floating atop a core of unsweetened cavendish with the Virginias adding a bit of sweetness and the latakia an occasional, very occasional, smoky spice. Overall, Black Mallory stands out as a mild, very easygoing representative of the genre, although contains little in the way of qualities which would allow it to stand out in a crowd.

Nice review Kapnis. It's been a while since I've had Black Mallory. I recall the "tart and sour", so when you mentioned that, I was pleased that it wasn't just me or the ghost of the pipe (s) at the time.

Thanks for the fine review Kap. It's been years since I've last smoked this Blend and if my recollection is correct you hit it right on. I love most Rattray Blends but one mild blend that I've always enjoyed is Jock's Mixture of which I still have some Blended by tins put away. Always enjoy reading super reviews as this one, thanks again.
Doc :pipe:

docwatson":yop60g7h said:
... but one mild blend that I've always enjoyed is Jock's Mixture of which I still have some Blended by tins put away.
Doc :pipe:
If you ever get around to cracking one open, I would love to hear your impressions of it.

Jock's Mixt. is a fine blend, although unlike a number of other Rattray's creations I have never had anything but the German-made production.

On the Black Mallory review, thanks - I try to get to them when I have the time and inclination to actually put in the work it requires (multiple bowls over a long period of time, taking careful notes and then editing them down into an actual review, etc.). One of the things I have always very much liked about this hobby is the wonderful ways in which its devotees are willing to share their honest experiences and opinions with one another, usually without much pretension whatsoever - TR is a great example of this as is, of course, this forum.

Cheers!

Keep up the fine work Kapnis... interesting I have all of Rattray's current blends but never noticed the "blended by/blended for distinction. My Old Gowrie & Marlin Flake are "blended by". The Highland Targe has no reference to "blended by or for". The rest are "blended for".

Slow Puffs":h39diasw said:
Keep up the fine work Kapnis... interesting I have all of Rattray's current blends but never noticed the "blended by/blended for distinction. My Old Gowrie & Marlin Flake are "blended by". The Highland Targe has no reference to "blended by or for". The rest are "blended for".
This brings up a point which I have had problems with for some time: the dating of Rattray's tins. The current US distributor ('blended for') is XYZ Direct who took over for James B. Russell, which ceased business in 2003. So, tins with a Russell import sticker are at least older than 2003 production. Before that, still 'blended for', Max Rohr (a division of Hollco-Rohr in California) was the importer and distributor. Of the few tins of 'blended by' (i.e., by Rattray in Scotland before blending was moved to K&K in Germany) that have passed through my hands, I do not recall an import / distribution sticker. I would be very interested in knowing if your 'blended by' tins have an importer/distributor sticker, and if so who?

From the top of my head, a quick guide to dating Rattray's tins on the US market:

Old: "Blended by" (save Highland Targe as you mention due to the graphic) w/ cream labels or full-sized graphics for RR & BM, illustrated pull-top, and ringed tin bottom. 4 oz.

Middle: "Blended for" w/ cream labels or full-sized graphics, etc., flat tin bottom with no illustrated pull top; Max Rohr import from either 'W. Germany' or 'Germany'. 4 oz.

Late Middle: As previous, but with 'James Russell' import sticker from either W. Germany or Germany (the former obviously older than the latter). 4 oz.

Newest: "Blended for" with either yellow labels or reduced sized graphics for RR & BM, flat bottom with circular XYZ import sticker. 100g. rather than 4oz.

Anything you might add would be appreciated!

Cheers.

This is not going to be very helpful as all my tins have the XYZ sticker on the bottom, 100g/3.5 oz (even the "blended by" )... that's as much info as I have