Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater (Ink)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater?  Yup.  It’s the working name of an ink concocted by mixing three Noodler’s inks...to get an exceedingly shading teal ink.  There’s a long (8pages) post on the Fountain Pen Network about it.  Just google the ink name and it comes up...among a few others.

It seemingly took years, but the guy finally divulged the recipe:

15x Navajo Turquoise
3x 54th Massachusetts
1x Old Manhattan Blackest Black (only at Fountain Pen Hospital)

Noodler's inks, all three.

It’s supposed to be well behaved.  Following are a few pics.  Remember, the exact colors you’re seeing can be wildly off depending on the software used by the photographer and your hardware’s calibration, etc.

Some pics:

eggman":fdaia6vf said:
That’s a awesome looking ink. I bet it’s expensive to mix up.
Well, not really. I have the Turquoise and the 54th Mass in hand. Had to order the special black from the Pen Hospital for $12 for 3 Oz (close to 90 ml) plus shipping. If I use a syringe and pull amounts in cc’s then a test batch would actually incur every little cost. And I’d end up with about 20 cc (same as 20 ml) of ink. A typical converter holds about 1 ml. That’s quite a few fills, really. But yeah...If someone had to buy all the inks fresh then it would be a little spendy.