Blades

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for good double edge blades. I've been using whatever Walgreens sells and frankly they're been fine but the last ones I bought are awful. Trying to decide whether to give them another try or move up in the world. Thanks...

Go to "West Coast Shaving.com" Huge blade selection, plus all things for wet shaving!! My "go to" site. I use "Feathers," "Wilkinson Sword," "Sharp," "Astra," plus some others. You can buy individual brands, or they have combo packs, which I find quite nice to keep around!! Also try "E-Barbershop.com" They have some of the older, unusual items from years ago!! :cheers: FTRPLT

I would get a sample pack from somewhere. They perform differently for each person and in each razor. Some feel that is bologna, while most believe it to be true. I happen to believe the latter. Before I knew any better, I bought a 100 box of Astra Greens on ebay. While I do still like them and place them near the top of my list, I prefer Gillette Silver Blues. You might even be able to find sample collections on ebay. I've never looked. You can also search on youtube for blade reviews. Nick Shaves talks quite a bit about blades in some of his videos.

By the way, I would recommend Astra greens, but I think doing a little experimenting would be in your best interest.

I've been using Astra 'Greens' for the past few years and am that happy with them I've felt no need to experiment elsewhere since.

Before the Greens I also tried Derbys (more comfortable than the Astras) and Feathers (v nice but more pricey) and probably a few others.

Whilst it's nice to experiment, I think what you do with them - i.e. technique - has as much, if not more to do with your shaving experience than blade brand. I remember using Feathers for the first time thinking one false move might lead to decapitation. I'm pleased to report this was far from the case. All the blades I've tried have been, well, razor blade sharp, and have given perfectly acceptable shaves. :D