Blending in a Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Having small amounts left from various tins, tonight - for the first time - I did something which I had never done before in terms of blending tobaccos: tried what I guess might be called a 'bowl blend'.

It transpired like this:

I took out a big cob, filled the bottom third of the bowl with Rattary's Brown Clunee, the second third of the bowl with some Esoterica Tilbury, and the top third with some very dry CAO-Dan Hamborger Veermaster. The result? A virginia parfait which was a very, very enjoyable smoke. As I smoked through the bowl, the transitions between the three were very clear - especially when I hit the Tilbury in the second third. I enjoyed it very much.

I will certainly be trying this again with the 'crumbs' of some English blends I currently have open when they are about gone - perhaps I will even sneak a VA in the middle. Who knows? Reminds me of mixing up different flavors of sodas in the same glass, without stirring, when I was a kid. Much fun indeed! I think I may have found yet another use for my trusty cobs.

Has anyone ever done this before?

I believe this is what is referred to as a "parfait." And, yes, I've done it and enjoy it.

-Andrew

adauria":hk4fysvw said:
I believe this is what is referred to as a "parfait." And, yes, I've done it and enjoy it.

-Andrew
In that case, this is certainly one of the better parfaits I have had in quite some time. I will be doing it again.

Im a parfait enthusist, but I find I like it better when I stir the layers up so its more marbled instead of being organized. I have a small jar of Old Ironside crumbs spacifically for that purpose.

Wow, most interesting indeed. I am completely unfamiliar with this method... but it sounds intriguing. I shall have to check into this "parfait" method of blending... I am, however, quite familiar with the aforementioned blending of different sodas. When I was a kid, oh probably in Junior High, I recall filling my cup from every available soft drink, including the diet ones, just going right on down the line... This daring concoction was (perhaps colloquially?) referred to as a "suicide," as in, "Jake and I were at Dairy Queen yesterday, and we both enjoyed a couple of suicides."

Trout Bum":nabvfx80 said:
... I am, however, quite familiar with the aforementioned blending of different sodas. When I was a kid, oh probably in Junior High, I recall filling my cup from every available soft drink, including the diet ones, just going right on down the line... This daring concoction was (perhaps colloquially?) referred to as a "suicide," as in, "Jake and I were at Dairy Queen yesterday, and we both enjoyed a couple of suicides."
Although I would say that I have found my 'pipe parfaits' to be much nicer tasting, and certainly less daring, than the old "suicide" (and yes, that would be the term as I too recall!).

In fact, just tonight I had another (in a cob as has become usual): Marlin Flake + Hamborger Veermaster + McClleland MV No. 24 on top - layered, not swirled. It was quite nice, especially when I got to the sweet dark flake resting at the bottom of the bowl.

I've never tried doing the parfait thing but that is a way cool idea. You of course realize that you have now unleashed a Monster!! I'll be obsessed with trying different combinations like Dr. Jekyll in the lab!!!

IT'S ALIVE!!!!