Blending suggestions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak2000

Reaction score
So I have a couple of different Cuban tobaccos that are OK on their own (though the McConnell is pretty tasty), along with some Burleys like PS Toasted Burley, C&D Ribbon cut and cube cut, and some Izmir Turkish. I recently tried GLP Key Largo and Cairo and while really enjoyed them, they are both quite rich in some way that they would probably only be an occasional smoke for me. I'm thinking a blend of some of the above tobaccos might be a more balanced smoke along the lines of the GLPs. No idea on ratios and don't really have enough of any of these for trial and error. Thought I'd throw it out there for far more experienced blenders than I.

I think you might try a blend of mostly (80%) VA and Burley...like 40% each) then mix in varied ratios of the others...like 10% Cuban and 10% Turkish. Then vary those up and down a bit. You will be amazed at how much difference a few percent one way or the other on any of those makes. The more different things you add in, the harder it will be to get your ratios right.

There should be a specific reason you pick each one of your components.

It sounds like you’re trying to approach the genius of Oriental Dusk and Dark Horse (John Patton blends) available via 4 Noggins. Those are likely my two favorite blends of anything out there.

And if you want something off the scale...try Peretti’s Oriental No. 40. It is 100% Oriental tobaccos...with no Latakia. Straight, it’s amazing. Plus, it makes an excellent blender.

If you’ve never tried those three...you should.

Anyway...good luck.

Interesting that you mention Oriental Dusk, that's my favorite of the Patton blends. I don't have any Va blending baccy, but I do have a few Va/Bur blends I can probably use as a base.

If you do a good search around here there are a number of past threads dealing with blending stuff...recipes included. I think you would profit by it.

I know I have a box of blending tobaccos around here somewhere. I’ll see what I can dig up.

ak2000":mdh1yril said:
Interesting that you mention Oriental Dusk, that's my favorite of the Patton blends. I don't have any Va blending baccy, but I do have a few Va/Bur blends I can probably use as a base.

Hmmm...I think not having blending VA is going to be tricky. If you do have a VaBur though, it's a pretty good head start. I'm not a master, but I think Izmir and VA is a match made in heaven; I think burley and cuban are a pretty swell couple, too. If I were playing around, I'd consider the VaBur I'm using. If it's heavier on Virginia, I'd add in some Izmir and save the cuban for a rainy day; if it's heavier on burley, I'd do the opposite. But then tastes are fickle, subjective things...so don't take my word for it!

I'm thinking C&D Burley Flake #5 could be a good base as it needs some help IMHO. It's a Va/Bur that's a bit Va heavy so I'll try adding a little of each mentioned above and give it a whirl.