Blends for hot or cold weather?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevverrett

Reaction score
So, I've noticed a lot of talk about switching to different blends basically by season. Or at least hot and cold weather. Various people here and some various blog posts and such. Along the lines of more va blends in the hot months or lat heavy blends in the winter. I Haven't as yet gotten into that habit. I'm wondering what you guys do. And why?

I've pretty much smoked the same 4/5 blends year round, mostly Red Va's with reserving my Balkans for my evening smokes! Has worked for me for over 40 years now so why change ! :twisted: :twisted:

Some folks recently discussed this, here's the thread. It might contain some of the info/opinions that you're looking for. https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t31010-heat-index

For me, I typically lay off my favorite latakia's in the summer as they just don't taste as good when it's hot outside. More complex mixtures are always best for me when I am drawing in cooler air and the tobacco in my pipe is burning at a slow smolder.

In the summer months, I typically smoke cigars, brighter Virginias and simple burley mixtures.

Anything is fine in cold weather for me but, hot and humid.........not much of anything really except for Escudo and an occasional Oriental blend. Just hot and dry, most Vapers are okay IMO. ;)
And this is based on smoking outside, I reckon if you smoke inside it really don't matter.

Ok. Having seen the other thread posted, I can see how I goofed this one up. Sorry fellas

...I believe that it also depends on what you've become use to and number of pipe smoking years...I keep 15-20 tobaccos in rotation regularly; no matter what the weather is and tend to smoke the stronger plugs and flakes...but I've been a pipe smoker for 53 years, so my palate would be "tuned" quite different than many others... :cheers:

I'm of the opinion that smaller bowls are the way to go, regardless of the weed

Ozark Wizard":hb5lqq4m said:
I'm of the opinion that smaller bowls are the way to go, regardless of the weed
Wiz,

I certainly agree, especially concerning flake tobaccos! The smaller pipe will make almost any blend go further, which is much more efficient in conserving tobacco.

However, I have a few pipes I smoke Lat blends and Cigar blends in, that are at a great advantage when smoked out of a large bowled pipe. I could smoke the same blends out of a small pipe, but sometimes it is nice to be able to simply waste tobacco in a larger pipe that maximizes the flavor profile.

Seems that over indulgence and wastefulness has become an American tradition anyhow, might as well enjoy a particular blend that way from time to time. ;)

Dutch said....................

Wiz,

I certainly agree, especially concerning flake tobaccos! The smaller pipe will make almost any blend go further, which is much more efficient in conserving tobacco.

However, I have a few pipes I smoke Lat blends and Cigar blends in, that are at a great advantage when smoked out of a large bowled pipe. I could smoke the same blends out of a small pipe, but sometimes it is nice to be able to simply waste tobacco in a larger pipe that maximizes the flavor profile.

Seems that over indulgence and wastefulness has become an American tradition anyhow, might as well enjoy a particular blend that way from time to time.  ;)

[/quote]

I hear you on the benefits of larger bowl types for some 'heavier', or complicated blends. I would then lean toward good candidates for DGT...........