Blends that are better in low humidity or high humidity

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunello

Reaction score
Back on Jan 9 I posted about how I reacted differently to a blend I know well when my nasal passages were dried up. Well, it happened again today. and I'd like to explore this further if others care to share their experiences. Here's the original post:
Sutliff Voodoo Queen in a meerschaum bowl Falcon.

First pipe in several days as I've been under the weather. Interesting that with my nasal passages being all dried up from Diphenhydramine that I'm smelling and "tasting" via retrohale different nuances than usual with this blend. The Perique especially prominent today, both pepper and prune/date, also a little more of mocha flake. Makes me wonder if folks living in drier climates like Arizona experience tobaccos differently than those of us from more humid climates. Could account for some of the differences with tobacco reviews. ???
So, last night I forgot to turn on the humidifier in the bedroom and woke up with nasal passages rather dry. This morning I loaded up a bowl of Orlik Golden Slice that I enjoyed more than I ever have before. This from a tin that was not quite three years old when I popped it and now another seven months in the jar. So, still a baby. But the subtle nuances of baking spice, white raisin, straw, and inexplicable goodness were especially vivid.

Normally I enjoy this blend in the summer, but now I'm re-thinking that idea. I've read discussions about recommended summer blends and have to wonder if it is all just the blind leading the blind. I'm starting to think relative humidity, or how moist or dry your nasal passages are have more impact than temperature per se. This may also explain why I like savory sauced blends like MacBaren Dark Twist or Mclelland in the summer, because they cut through all the moisture and mucus lining that happens in the humid Virginia summers.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Okay, some more observations from the bottom of the rabbit hole . . . 🐰

Last night I intentionally left off the humidifier and again woke up with dry nasal passages. When you blot the inside of your nose with tissue and it comes out dry, that's dry.

My thinking was that maybe it's not so much about the blends but more about ambient smoking conditions. So I tried two blends this morning: EGR and 1792 and they both tasted as they always do. So that puts me back to the theory that some blends, perhaps more subtly nuanced, really do come across better with less moisture. So now I'm going to pull out some more nuanced blends (Comoy Cask 9 maybe) and give them a try. Hey, "inquiring minds want to know!"

Since you asked, I am recalling my experience smoking East coast and West coast and West Pacific compared to the Basin & Range desert brought up memories of lunting in the rain with inverted bowls compared to seeing burley cubes blowing around a bowl in a windy canyon. I'm not a super taster and I can't say that tobacco tastes differently to me but it feels and handles differently in dry vs humid conditions. Going back East dry paper feels soft damp compared to paper in the desert. I'm not a super sniffer but I can detect some some oders better than my wife and totally miss aromas that she notices, but perhaps things smell differently in humid vs dry conditions and that can affect taste perception.