Blends with zero bright Virginia?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarneOut

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I have discovered recently, thanks to some help from Jiminks, that yellow/bright Virginia seems to be the culprit in every blend that irritates my inner ears (I have a preexisting medical condition of the inner ear). English blends that contain a little of it bother me only mildly, but after smoking down a full bowl I notice some discomfort that is unpleasant enough to mar the overall experience a bit. Blends that have more substantial quantities of bright Virginia irritate me severely and immediately. With that said, Rattrays Old Gowrie, a predominantly dark Virginia blend, is by far the smoothest, least irritating blend in my stash, and perhaps the only one I can smoke throughout the whole day without discomfort.

The problem for me is that a massive percentage of all tobacco blends available contain some amount of bright Virginia. Aside from the Rattrays dark/red Virginia blends, all of which I plan to try when I can get ahold of them, can anyone recommend me some blends with zero bright Virginia? I don't care if they are straight dark Virginia, burley, latakia based, aromatic, or anything in between. Thanks folks

Last edited:
I'm missing some, but these are what readily come to mind.

The Sutliff Crumble Kake series: VaPer, Red Va. and English #1. All the Virginias are red. Sutliff Ready Rubbed (all burley).

C&D Red Odessa.

Watch City Simply Red.

Sam Gawith Best Brown and St. James Flake. Full Virginia Flake is lighter now, and may bother you a mite.

G&H Best Brown #2. Dark Flake Unscented. Dark Bird's Eye.

Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia.

Amphora Burley Blend.

Hearth & Home Louisiana Red.

I'm missing some, but these are what readily come to mind.

The Sutliff Crumble Kake series: VaPer, Red Va. and English #1. All the Virginias are red. Sutliff Ready Rubbed (all burley).

C&D Red Odessa.

Watch City Simply Red.

Sam Gawith Best Brown and St. James Flake. Full Virginia Flake is lighter now, and may bother you a mite.

G&H Best Brown #2. Dark Flake Unscented. Dark Bird's Eye.

Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia.

Amphora Burley Blend.

Hearth & Home Louisiana Red.
Excellent list to add to the next order, thanks!

I noticed in your TR review of HH Pure Virginia that there are "streaks of flue cured bright Virginia". Does flue curing mellow the Virginia to an extent similar to a few years of aging? Thanks again, you've been a big help so far.

Excellent list to add to the next order, thanks!

I noticed in your TR review of HH Pure Virginia that there are "streaks of flue cured bright Virginia". Does flue curing mellow the Virginia to an extent similar to a few years of aging? Thanks again, you've been a big help so far.
The strength of the dark Va.s fairly mute the bright in that blend, which is mostly a condiment. I think the pressing on that blend lowers the problem you face. Flue curing does not mellow bright Va.